Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-30-2003, 06:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

how to cycle FO tank?

would I need shrimp to cycle a FO tank? If so, how long should I leave it in there?....And has anyone tryed the product 'cycle'?...I heard that it cycles the tank on its own.......Thx for any help.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Shrimp don't do good in high ammonia. However if you don't have live rock (which is the best way to cycle a tank) the next best is Damsels they are very durable. You can also add things like BIO-Zyme which is a beneficial bacteria, but this only speeds the process up a little. It does not cycle your tank completely that will take time. But make sure you have something in it, whether its LR or Damsels.

Old 08-31-2003, 01:43 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think what Moe was talking about was using a dead shrimp, like one from the store, to cycle the tank. Many people believe that cycling a tank with fish is wrong and is inhumane for the fish. The raw shrimp from the store will cause an amonia spike in the tank to get the cycle going. Once you see a significant spike in the amonia, I believe you can remove it. I cycled my tank with LR and LS....no fish or shrimp, so I can't give you an estimate of how many days it will take.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Fishless cycle

There is definitely no need to use fish to cycle a new tank! It is an unnecessary and inhumane method, increasingly frowned upon by serious aquarists.

I successfully used household ammonia to cycle a brand-new 5-gallon aquarium. It is easy to do so, and the cost is almost zero.

With this method, you can immediately take the ammonia up to lethal levels far past what any fish could survive. As a result, the bacteria develop and reproduce very quickly, and in a much shorter time, you'll have a far stronger colony capable of supporting a robust population of desirable fish.

When I did it, after only 14 days the bacterial colony in that little 5-gallon tank was fully metabolizing 3ML of household ammonia each day in about 11 hours. I was very conservative, and carefuly monitored nitrite levels over the next 8 days, while adding daily 1ML maintenance doses of ammonia.

For the full story, with pictures and references, click here.

Don't miss my Jensalt sump horror story site.

Greg Bunch
http://www.gbundersea.com
Home of the Digital Lens Dock, MXTENDER, Save-A-Lens Kit, and u/w photography

http://www.reefngom.org
Co-founder and fish ID instructor
REEF Field Station of the Northern Gulf of Mexico
Old 09-01-2003, 09:19 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
For those who are not fimular with the shrimp method of cycling the tank you can check our articles section. More specificly the following article How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 09:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Can you increase the ammonia additive proportionally to a 55 gal aquarium (ie. 33 mL)?
Old 09-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

No problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenvee
Can you increase the ammonia additive proportionally to a 55 gal aquarium (ie. 33 mL)?
Absolutely! Just add enough ammonia to bring the level to 1-2ppm.

Remember: You MUST use clear household ammonia which contains ONLY ammonia and water, with NO dyes, scents, or surfactants. Make sure it states the ingredients on the label. You may have to visit more than one store to find it, but you shouldn't have too much trouble.

You can also use reagent grade ammonium chloride, which is what public aquariums use to cycle new tanks. ScienceLab.com sells 100 grams of it for $11.89.

James Koga has updated his article on fishless cycling. It now includes additional links to sites describing the techniques and results of this method.

Don't miss my Jensalt sump horror story site.

Also see how I cycled a new tank with household ammonia.

Greg Bunch
http://www.gbundersea.com
Home of the Digital Lens Dock, MXTENDER, Save-A-Lens Kit, and u/w photography

http://www.reefngom.org
Co-founder and fish ID instructor
REEF Field Station of the Northern Gulf of Mexico
Old 09-06-2003, 07:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to pufferman
Patience is a virtue. Seriously

Tank Specs as of December 29, 2005:Ammonia:0;Nitrite: 0;Nitrate=0;Cu:0
PH: 8.3
SG: 1.028;Temp: 79-84 degrees F (Adjusts throughout the day)
pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com