Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How to do a refugium/sump without having a drilled tank?

Is it possible to do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank? If so, how could you do it? Power heads and tubing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom23 View Post
Is it possible to do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank? If so, how could you do it? Power heads and tubing?

Yes you can do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank. Don't use powerheads and tubing however, they make a hang on overflow system such as the one linked below (don't take that as a recommendation for that particular brand by the way, just an example), or you can make your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-34508-H.../dp/B0036RZKPY

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea....I read about those but worry about flooding, as I've seen different people post from experience...don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't have a drilled tank. I use a cpr overflow with an aqualifter to assist to prevent siphon loss. I've been told that siphon loss won't occur if the overflow and return pump are matched right, but don't put that much trust into things when away from home and like that extra precaution.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I know that originally there were lots of issues with flooding. Most people I've talked to with the newer set-ups don't seem to have the issues the older models had. Like Hank, I wouldn't really trust one myself, so personally I would drill the tank and construct my own overflow.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

CPR Overflow Boxes
This is the kind of overflow box I use, like I said. You can see the nipple at the top of the unit where the aqualifter attaches.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drilled, led, refugium, refugiums, sump, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com