How to do a refugium/sump without having a drilled tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busymom23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is it possible to do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank? If so, how could you do it? Power heads and tubing?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is it possible to do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank? If so, how could you do it? Power heads and tubing?

Yes you can do a sump/refugium without a drilled tank. Don't use powerheads and tubing however, they make a hang on overflow system such as the one linked below (don't take that as a recommendation for that particular brand by the way, just an example), or you can make your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-34508-Hang-On-Overflow-125-Gallon/dp/B0036RZKPY

Yea....I read about those but worry about flooding, as I've seen different people post from experience...don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks!

I don't have a drilled tank. I use a cpr overflow with an aqualifter to assist to prevent siphon loss. I've been told that siphon loss won't occur if the overflow and return pump are matched right, but don't put that much trust into things when away from home and like that extra precaution.

I know that originally there were lots of issues with flooding. Most people I've talked to with the newer set-ups don't seem to have the issues the older models had. Like Hank, I wouldn't really trust one myself, so personally I would drill the tank and construct my own overflow.

Back
Top Bottom