How to get my base rock to live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I was just after some advice on how to get my base rock to convert to live rock quicker is the anything I can add to speed up the process

put a frozen shrimp in the water and let it cycle, use bio spira or put a few pounds of already cured live rock in with the base rock

trackfast said:
You could scrape a piece of LR that has lots of coralline into the water flow.

I've got high quality live rock in the tank already about 20% just wanted the process to hurry up heard it could take 6 months

i bought purple up buit thats just for coralline algae, doesn't build up the nessesary critters needed for biological filtration.

i'd say wash the base rock with RO water and then put it in the aquarium where you want it, it will eventually become live in a month or so, and liek i stated above if you really want to speed it up you can always add bio spira.

BIO Spira

Just let nature take it's course. Adding too many chemicals to speed things up will give you an unstable tank which may crash down the road. Another rule of thumb, don't add anything you can't test for. Scraping coralline wouldn't hurt, but if you have a filter running that may just end up catching a good portion of the particles. Time and patience are the best methods. Hope this helps.

Just let nature take it's course. Adding too many chemicals to speed things up will give you an unstable tank which may crash down the road. Another rule of thumb, don't add anything you can't test for. Scraping coralline wouldn't hurt, but if you have a filter running that may just end up catching a good portion of the particles. Time and patience are the best methods. Hope this helps.

Exactly

Patience is key for sure, I scraped some coralline in my tank and yes it helps spread the coralline but thats all it does, so sure it will help to get the nice purple in the tank but thats it base rock needs time you cant speed that up :D

+1

Thanks for your advice everyone I guess I just got to play the waiting game intresting about the BIO Spira

Back
Top Bottom