Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How to get PH up and KEEP it up??

So for some reason I can't get our reef to stay above 8.0
it's always between 7.8 and 8.

I can use "pH up" chems, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.. I put crushed coral in there (lots) and it's not doing much.

How can I keep it at 8+ ?

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

When do you test? Having your lights on for awhile will raise ph. Maybe test after your lights have been on for a few hours.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Daniel.
Yea, we usually test it mid-day, so after the lights have been on a good 3-4 hours.
We also have a good friend that works aquatics at the local petco, so we bring samples to double check w their tests. We're always around 7.8-8.0

Does temperature effect pH?
Our house is insanely cold lately.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crushed coral as a buffer only works in fresh water tanks. In a salt water tank corals need higher levels of carbonates to form. So using coral won't raise Alk.
Without getting too technical, alkalinity is the waters ability for water to maintain a stable pH or it's pH inertia. The higher the alkalinity is the more acid you would need to lower the pH.
Something like 97% of alkalinity is in the form of carbonates and bicarbonates. The rest is made up of other elements like magnesium etc.

So most pH buffers are simply made up of bicarbonates like sodium bicarbonate and carbonates. HOWEVER, sodium bicarbonate has a pH of about 8, so no matter how much you add, you'll never get to 8.3-8.4. Aquarium buffer also adds to natural alkalines so that it will raise alkalinity and pH up to around 8.4. The normal additional buffering agent is magnesium which we need anyhow.

Feel free to use pH buffers to raise your alkalinity because they are made up of the only thing that makes up 97% of alkalinity.

Also, baking soda can be used in a pinch to raise Alk , but it will move your pH to about 8.0. Also it probably has a edible desiccant in it (borate if memory serves me correctly) to keep it free flowing which can build up in your aquarium and eventually cause a diatom outbreak.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Having at least one powerhead facing the surface of the water and causing ripples on surface is another way to increase pH. And I'm told opening windows and getting fresh air, but that might not be possible, depending on where you live. A pH of 8.0 isn't the worst reading. From what I've red, a steady (albeit on the lower side) pH is better than a fluctuating PH.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by janky

I can use "pH up" chems, but that doesn't sound like a good idea.. I put crushed coral in there (lots) and it's not doing much.

My ph stays at 7.9-8.0 for months now its fine it dont need to be 8.3 it needs to be stable
Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

I use "reef buffer" by seachem, it will raise your ph to 8.3 and no more. I put some in every water change and my water never drops below 8.1. Also, have your Refugium lit opposite your main tank. This will allow photosynthesis to take place when your main lights are off which in turn will limit ph swings from day to night.

At least, this is what is working for me.

Good luck
Old 11-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 on reef buffer

Using it too every WC keeps ph @8.3 all the time
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for all the input! I will look into reef buffer.
I am steady around 7.9 ... is that ok? I mean, my corals aren't sick or dying or anything, but they're not like thriving and sprouting all over the place either. I'm wondering if bumping the pH to like 8.1 or so would help?

If it doesn't matter I'll just leave it alone. I may need to just be more patient and give it time, but I want the corals and fish to live in optimal conditions.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Thanks for all the input! I will look into reef buffer.
I am steady around 7.9 ... is that ok? I mean, my corals aren't sick or dying or anything, but they're not like thriving and sprouting all over the place either. I'm wondering if bumping the pH to like 8.1 or so would help?

If it doesn't matter I'll just leave it alone. I may need to just be more patient and give it time, but I want the corals and fish to live in optimal conditions.
Ph 7.8-7.9 never has been above 8.0 due to calcium reactor so imo 7.9 is just fine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121120_225602.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	133151  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com