how to give plankton

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small 34gallon solana tank. when I put in the liquid plankton, should I:

1: Just add to the main tank? If I do, am I supposed to shut off the return pump and aerators?
2: put in the return and let it blow it in?
3: other?

Thanks

I dont know the proper way but I just add it to the main and I pour it over my return line water so it will scatter it out there fast.

I have a frogspawn, green neon zoo, leather finger and Feather duster... The LFS said I should be giving them about 1 Tsp every 3 days...

I don't believe any of those require plankton. They should do just fine on the light and whatever you feed the tank.

When I feed my tank (phyto included or not) I turn off the skimmer and main pump, but leave the power heads on. I let the fish chase food for about a ½ hour then turn the return pump and skimmer back on.

Agree with cmor... I wouldn't feed anything, and wait and see your results. My guess is everything will thrive just fine. Feeding those bottled solutions in a small tank can lead to water quality issues down the road.

so how do I know if the "results" aren't working?? what should I look for when I stop feeding the plankton?

The feather duster is a filter feederbut I really think there is enough in the water column for it. I would not add the plankton for just that.

so how do I know if the "results" aren't working?? what should I look for when I stop feeding the plankton?

I'd say if it looks any different than it does now, then maybe it was benefiting from it. Hard to describe "unhappiness" for inverts, but you'll probably know it if you see it.

Thanks Kurt... This hobby really is amazing how each person has a distinctive opinion over the next. Guess it's just like politics! LOL I like my LFS peop's but seems like everything they tell me (even about the name of what i'm buying!) ends up in dispute... :)

I agree with Kurt. It's hard to tell, but you will notice a change if they are unhappy. Most of can only tell you what we have experienced in our own tanks and what we have read. Most is anectodal, very little is true scientific discovery. A documentary on corals stated that although there are over 350 varieties of acropora coral noted there are only about 150 varieties based on dna.

Back
Top Bottom