How to hide a heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nguyen27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
Any one was able to find a way to hide a heater from their aquarium, range from putting the heater into the sump, refugi, and so on. I'm looking for way to do that also, I'm consider getting one of the heater module from Lifegard Aquarium Heater module and in the process of do that, make a close loop as well from that. My tank is a 15gals, so putting a heater in there seems to much :)
Thanks

Hey, I have a 7gallon tank with a submersible heater and I put it horizontal behind some live rock. The one thing I am always careful about is not letting it touch any of the rock or it getting crushed.

In my 50 gallon tank I did the same thing. The heater is in the back of the tank in a low horizontal direction. :)

actualy, IMO, smaller tanks have more justification for a sump/refuge as even a small sump on a nano tank can effectively double your water volume. But i'm not sure if that was your question. Did i help any? You quite likely need a heater, and the wattage rating of the heater should be rated for your total system volume. In other words, if you have a 15 gallon tank, and a 20 gallon sump/fuge, you should have a heater rated for a minimum of 35 gallons.

HTH

Thanks for the info;
I thought of putting it in horizon, but kind of feel unsafe doing that :)
Billyz;
I already has the heater in my aquarium, I'm looking for a way to get it hide away from inside the aquarium, I had a Visithemr 200 watt in the tank at the moment. If you are suggestion a refuge, do you know of any place sell small size refugee as I can't fit much in the back of the tank which already got a Bakpak 2 hanging.
Thanks

nguyen27 said:
Thanks for the info;
I thought of putting it in horizon, but kind of feel unsafe doing that :)
If placed lower in the tank (about an inch off the substrate) it shouldn't be a problem. I do the same thing in my 5 gal. I'm guessing your worried about the rock falling on it?

Cheers
Steve

Billyz,
Yeah I'm afraid of doing that of the rock falling, plus the heater just little long I think, if I'm to put the heater in horizontal possile, some rock gotta move to give way.

Why not put it horizontal and just under the surface thats where mine is in my 10 gal. You still see it but it gets covered in algea and coralline over time so it blends in.

P.S. you also dont have the cord running to the bottom of the tank.

I found that unless a heater is placed near an area of flow, the tank is uneven in regards to temp.
I just adopted the method of heaters in the sump of my larger tanks to my 29g by placing the heater in my BakPak skimmer. Now the heater is in a high flow area & is also hidden out of sight.

pecan2phat said:
I found that unless a heater is placed near an area of flow, the tank is uneven in regards to temp.
I just adopted the method of heaters in the sump of my larger tanks to my 29g by placing the heater in my BakPak skimmer. Now the heater is in a high flow area & is also hidden out of sight.

This mean you got a Bakpak 2 or 2R? and how do you fit on in that? As in the second compartment? And not just like any heater will fit in that area isn't it?
Thx

I have mine in the sump of my Wet Dry... works great so far, plus its a guaranteed even distribution. i have to set ir 10 degrees higher that i desire in the tank because the area in the sump heats up faster than the rest of the tank... but it works, and its out of site.

pecan2phat said:
The heater is placed in a BakPak 2 where the bio-bale was.

Cool, but did you have lots of bubble since you take out the bio-bale because bio-bale used to trap bubbles?

When the BakPak was new, yes. But now after a few years, even with the bio-bale long gone, it does not flow any micro bubbles into the tank. I use this portion of the BakPak for the heater, grounging probe & my Aqua-Doser to drip my kalkwasser solution into.

Back
Top Bottom