Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

how to introduce species?

So I wanted to finally start introducing corals maybe livestock. Is there any special instructions before I introduce them into a newly cycled tank?
Do I put these in a bag like i would do fresh water fish let them acclimate then put them in? With corals do you need to wash them off or can they just go directly from the bag into the tank
Thank You

Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm also interested in this. I've had no problems with my coral so far, so the way I do it seems to work. However I'm curious to hear other approaches.

When I get my coral i pour it and the water it came in, into a small container. Then I add small amounts ,5-10 ml, of my tanks water to the container. Only adding every minute or two. Then once the water in the container has doubled, I take the coral and add it to my tank.

I have some pretty hardy coral so maybe that won't work for some coral but it's worked so far.

My corals include: mushrooms, zoas, torches, and a birdnest.

I have noticed that the first week or so you really have to be careful with the light. When I first introduced my torches, they had a good response to my light. They opened up twice the size of what they were at my lFS within an hour of introduction. My birdnest on the other hand did not fair so well. I introduced it and noticed that it progressively got whiter and whiter. It was too close to my light and started bleaching. So I redirected the light in my tank and am slowl moving it back towards the birdnest. My birdsnest is super fuzzy now and the white parts are filling in too! Here are some pictures of my corals
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3928601991.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	165253   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-530868126.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	165254  

Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool thank you a lot, I did not know this at all lol thanks for the reply =)
Old 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Looking at your pictures you used putty or glue to attach your corals right? oh I for got to mention your corals look awesome lol!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!

Yes and no though to the putty/ glue. The birdsnest is a harder coral that I simply placed in a stable position at the top. The torch has a hard cast for a base that I wedged between two rocks. The mushrooms came on little pieces of rock that I did use super glue gel to attack to other rocks. Those mushrooms will just float and float and float around in the current. The Zoas came on sand so I didn't have anything for their foot. They kept getting knocked around too. I got tired off it and super glued them to a rock haha. They are doing good now too so I guess it's a success.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Float your bag to acclimate to temp. Then remove a little water from the bag an add some tank water into the bag. Wait 15 mins and do it again. Do this three or four times and then add your fish or coral to the tank. DO NOT add the water from the bag it came in.
BEST thing is to do this into a quarantine tank and leave them in there for a few weeks but not all of us have QT tanks.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here, check this out. Its off of live aquaria.

Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals

Tags
spec, species

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com