How to keep macroalge in sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadial

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is a dumb question but I have to ask :p

I have this type of sump:

img_1209467_0_ec98d2bd80ea812b734c93bbe2709b0a.jpg

My problem is that the current pulls the macroalgae through the unit, into the pump and the algae ends up in my display tank. I have some rubble rock in the baffles (I hope that is the right term) but clearly not enough. I don't want to constrict the flow too much... I need a better method to keep things put. Should I put some plastic screening material in there or something? If so, how do you attach it? Or, can you bundle the plants and attach a weight to anchor them? I've tried to put the macroalgae where that drain sock is. It gets sucked through those narrow cut outs and it's not working out too well for me. Any suggestions? I used to have that compartment filled with plants. Now I have zip.

just attach the chaeto to some LR,as long as its getting flow and light it'll be ok to weigh it down.

You could also use some egg crate, either wedge it in horizontally or silicone it. Probably wouldn't silicone it horizontally though.

Back
Top Bottom