How to maintain tank cleanliness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiderman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Two questions when cleaning the tank:

1. Plastic plants accumulate (brownish) gunk - I don't know whether these are beneficial - should I clean them, and if so, how often?

2. Is there a good (online) reference on algae growth (or other types of growth) on live rock? How do I know if there's an "outbreak", and how do I address each type?

Thanks!

If your tank is farily new then chances are you have diatoms which are neither good nor bad, just a part of the aging process. They will dissapate on their own in time.

IME plastic plants will require maintenance to make look real.

Once your tank establishes itself alittle it will start to grow algae. This is a natural process with a couple different ways to fight it. I had an algae problem so I upped my cleanup crew i.e. snails and crabs and maybe a sandsifting starfish(if you don't have a dsb) and in days my tank is looking good :mrgreen: Another thing you can do is reduce phosphates and nitrates as this is what algae feeds on. IMO the snails and crabs are pretty cool 8)

I have about 35 Blue legged reef crabs in my tank and a truckload of snails. They keep pretty much all the algae in check for me.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom