Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Agreed that a 10% water change after moving is too small. At the new site, I'd even make another 40g or so of saltwater to correct and deal with any potential problems that could come up. Also agree on the use of a bagged, dry aragonite sand. Gotta rinse it VERY well. Live sand is a rip-off IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't know if throwing out that much water is really necessary. if you put live rock in each bucket and spread out the fish and inverts eavently the water should stay relativly clean

Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used to have crushed coral and When I moved my tank I did a 30% pwc. After the move I had huge nitrate spikes. I would defiantly switch to sand and do a large pwc, The crushed coral will just cause problems and the move would be the most convenient time to do it. I had my tank completely set up and changed to sand a week later, it was not fun.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crushed coral will help buffer your PH and enable you to use less of the powdered buffer.

the way to tackle nitrates is to add a refugium. If you're doing a sump, you can add a refugium to that. With a deep sand bed, LR and Macro Algae, you're nitrate problem will be under control. Plus the skimmer and not over feeding. That's the biggest issue. All the brands say to feed daily or twice daily. It's about how much your fish need externally, versus what your tank provides. I think the benefit of CC outweighs the negatives if you are willing to plan it all out.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I moved my tank I had just purchased it, and the guy I got it from defiantly over fed. Plus the fact that it was set up with an under gravel filter didn't help. I like the look of sand and it is better for my coral, also less maintenance/vacuuming. Even with a sump I would still recommend sand over crushed coral, the buffer powder is not too hard to use. I am not saying that you are wrong, sand is just my preference.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

This is what I got - Seaflor Special Grade Reef Sand It's fine sand that also buffers.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

That looks pretty good. Anything aragonite based will be a good buffer. I use a sand that is very fine, but it depends on what you like the look of. And finer sand has less places for food/waste to fall into and rot. Also it makes it really easy to vacuum up anything that falls onto the sand when you do your pwc.

Tags
move, reef, reef tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com