how to plumb a 75g display and a 30g sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ngit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to plumb my 75g display with a 30g sump but be for I drill wholes in my tank to the sump I have no idea what size to use on the pvc pipes or how to determine that
If someone can help me out or steer me in the rite direction id appriciate it very much can't wait to start this build

Id use 1 and 1/4 inch or 1 1/2 inch for intake, go to glass holes.com they have the whole overflow drillingkit for about 100 bucks

This is my exact setup I am working on... Here's how I drilled my tank. The 2 returns are the far left and right holes, both 1", and the middle hole is a 3/4" return...

image-160598468.jpg

I will be using clear plastic tubing and have both drains go into the first section of my sump (far left) , and will use a Eheim Compact plus 2000 pump for return at 300 gph (far right). The middle section is my fuge...

image-3871183896.jpg

Ill probly use 1 1/2 tubes set up like benamayer is there a set way I can figure out the return pump size to get?
And benamayer do you have gate valves on both drain tubes leading to your sump?

Well it's gravity fed so as long as the pump doesn't exceed what your drains can handle, it's really up to you what you want for flow in terms of GPH. And no, I will not be using any gate valves on the drains or return line...

Sorry for all the nub questions but if you wanted a higher gph coule you get a bugger pump? Or is it the size of the plumbing comimg from the display

It's what the drains can handle. I could probably
crank my pump up to the highest it could go, but I am choosing to keep it lower... And it's confusing stuff don't worry about asking questions :cool:

Yes definitely confusing lol so if I put two 1 1/2 drains can I run a mag 7. Its about 3 1/2 feet from the sump to the display would that work? And why do you have a smaller return pipe?

Yes you can run a Mag 7. I would put a valve on your return line in case you need to control the flow. And I don't really know why we drilled the return smaller, just what the LFS said he usually
does that works for his tanks.

That article was awesome I can't wait to start it all on my own tank

That article was awesome I can't wait to start it all on my own tank

Good to hear! And please ask as many questions as you need to. This forum is action packed with really good people who are willing to help...

Back
Top Bottom