How to prepare corals for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikki_kaiser

Aquarium Advice FINatic
When receiving new corals, what is the best dip to use to remove all parasites? Do you quarantine corals like you do fish? Can a coral be a carrier of marine ich? I'm wanting to order corals however I need to know the best way to prepare them for my tank as well as protect my fish now. Thank you!

I use SeaChem's Reef Dip, it's pretty good AFAIK, haven't had a problem yet since I've been using it. A lot of people use Coral Rx.

No, I can't set up a separate quarantine tank for corals only, so they get dipped and then put in the display.

Yes, corals can bring in marine ich and other parasites.

I don't think they host (could be wrong). But the water or corals or anything from another aquarium can have one of the stages of marine ich on it. It's a dangerous battle. (thumbs up)

So how do you QT them without having to duplicate expensive equipment ( especially lighting and protein skimmer) in order to not introduce ich into a tank that's parasite free? I've really put a lot of effort over the few years to QT live rock, fish, and shrimp to avoid an outbreak.

Yeah. Obviously quarantining new corals in a separate environment free of fish is the ideal situation. This allows for coral inspection too, to make sure it's free of disease and bad coral creatures (so technical, i know, but i love these parenthesis!).

However, most of us put so much money, time, and effort into our DT that affording (at least a few hundred bucks for a nano coral tank) and maintaining (it's harder with smaller tanks) a separate tank for quarantining corals is almost impossible. :(

I think it's safe to say that most people only dip their corals.

BTW, it was a coral that infected my tank with marine ich a while back. That was before I dipped. Probably 10 corals since then, all dipped, and no problems.

Back
Top Bottom