Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How to prevent leaking into the tank stand

I have been cycling my 40 gallon in hopes to test if the system would ever leak. I am running a Eheim 2026 canister with a Hydor inline heater. I am also running a Coralife UV Sterilizer.

This initially was set up for freshwater but it's been bare for quite some time. I filled it up with water several weeks ago and always noticed the tank would eventually get "noisy" and my thought it had to do with evaporation of water.

Well, I had topped it off several days ago, and I realized that after one night, it started making noise again.

Doom sunk in my mind and when I opened the tank stand, there was water on the bottom of the stand (and little black worms what's up with that?). The water seems to have have seeped through the wood and onto the carpet.

I ripped everything out of the tank stand and ran a fan overnight so it's dry now.

My question is this:

How can I prevent this in the future? I know there are those water alert things you can hook up.

I was going to have a sump system down there (Berlin) but I'm wondering if I should have some kind of custom container made of plexiglas that I can line the inside of the stand. It would jut out the back as well to catch anything from the canister intake/exhaust (sorry i don't know the right terminology).

Today I was going to actually pick up an acryllic 50 gallon tall today to set it up as a salt water system and replace the 40 that I have.

AoiGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Find out where the leak is. If the leak is in the tank itself, you may be in for a much larger problem. Replacing the tank is a very good idea. That is safest. Make sure the stand surface is very level and smooth. High points in the stand can create stress fractures in a full tank. You can use a sheet of that foam insultion from the hardware store under the tank if you have any doubts about the smoothness of the stand surface.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure if it is the tank. Acryllic should take care of that. I think it's somewhere in the plumbing that I had. Just wondering if anyone has put any custom Plexiglas inside their tank to capture anything that might "leak".

I assume the tank stand is still good. There was some mold like growth on the bottom where the wood meets. I think I can remove that so that should be okay.

I'll get another piece of styrofoam for the 50 gallon tank. I did'nt put one for the 40 gallon but since I took out all the plumbing yesterday and placed a fan inside the stand to dry it out, my assumption is not the tank since there was no water this morning.
AoiGSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The idea is to prevent the possibility of leaks. Especially this early in the game. You need to determine where exactly the leak is coming from, and take whatever steps are necessary to stop it from happening again. You should not have to provide "flood insurance" on your tank, especially if you can take the time now to prevent the flooding. If there are any bulkheads for plumbing, that would be a prime place to check for leaks.
Remember - in Aquaria, nothing good happens fast.
Starting a new tank? Click here for instructions.
47g tall FW, 10g planted, 2.5g planted office tank
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

If you are sure that the tank is sound you then need to determine where the leak is coming from and fix it. You can tie-wrap a paper towel or cloth around each fitting of your plumbing and see what is wet in the morning. That should narrow down the leak to one or two items that are not properly sealed.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

leaking, stand, tan, tank stand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com