How to quarantine a new fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishking22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a spare 10g that I was going to use to raise clownfish fry. But in spare time when I get new fish, how do I add fish to the 10g? What do I do to it when it's in there? How long do I keep them in there? How many can I put in at a time? Do I do this to corals too? Other tips preferred.

Thanks

10 gallons are cheap, I'd buy a separate tank just in case you needed to medicate. My reading has told me that copper can get in the silicone of the tank and always be present in that tank. I don't think copper would be very healthy for fry.

But when it's in there you just watch it to make sure it's not sick, and how long depends on if it gets sick. I'd say 2-3 weeks if no signs of illness. If it's sick, then 2-3 weeks after the disease is cleared up. How many? You could get away with a handful of small fish at a time in a 10 gallon, but a full grown emperor angel would need a bigger QT.

As far as corals - I have no clue. I just drip acclimated mine for a few hours then in they went.

How do you know if there is copper in my 10g? And I have no room for another fish tank. And my biggest Gish will be a CBB or a yellow longnose.

What size is your DT? And the reason I mentioned the copper is if you need to use a copper treatment for your fish while they are in quarantine, the copper gets in the silicone and is always present from my understanding.

Back
Top Bottom