Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How to quarantine a new fish?

I have a spare 10g that I was going to use to raise clownfish fry. But in spare time when I get new fish, how do I add fish to the 10g? What do I do to it when it's in there? How long do I keep them in there? How many can I put in at a time? Do I do this to corals too? Other tips preferred.

Thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

10 gallons are cheap, I'd buy a separate tank just in case you needed to medicate. My reading has told me that copper can get in the silicone of the tank and always be present in that tank. I don't think copper would be very healthy for fry.

But when it's in there you just watch it to make sure it's not sick, and how long depends on if it gets sick. I'd say 2-3 weeks if no signs of illness. If it's sick, then 2-3 weeks after the disease is cleared up. How many? You could get away with a handful of small fish at a time in a 10 gallon, but a full grown emperor angel would need a bigger QT.

As far as corals - I have no clue. I just drip acclimated mine for a few hours then in they went.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do you know if there is copper in my 10g? And I have no room for another fish tank. And my biggest Gish will be a CBB or a yellow longnose.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

What size is your DT? And the reason I mentioned the copper is if you need to use a copper treatment for your fish while they are in quarantine, the copper gets in the silicone and is always present from my understanding.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This website is where I'm getting most of my quarantine information and so far, it seems very reliable

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

It mentioned that corals should be treated the same as fish so 2-3 weeks, but the website might be really on the safe side since it mention CUC should be quarantined for 2-3 weeks also

Tags
new fish, quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com