Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-17-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
how to remove sand from LR

i finally got my UC'd LR today and junked my argonite sand and put in the good stuff. now the water is cloudy (looks like milk) and ive noticed the sand is setteling on the rock along with the sand bed. should i remove the sand from the rock? if so how would i do that without making the water cloudy again?

Old 07-17-2003, 07:11 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
should i remove the sand from the rock? if so how would i do that without making the water cloudy again?
Use a trukey baster and gently blow the sand off

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Butters Send a message via AIM to Butters Send a message via MSN to Butters Send a message via Yahoo to Butters
genius :P thanks

btw...what should I do with the critters I find roaming in my tank from the LR? so far I have one white thing with black beady eyes and 2 tenticals swimming around. hes about 1/2 a mm in size. wont the critters die during the cycling process?

also my ammonia is already 8.0. and its been about 12 hours in the tank. is this normal?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

nm time answered my own question. all the critters died.

but do I let the ammonia just cyle itself or do a few water changes? sorry to keep bugging yas with all the dumb questions...

well I got the sand off the rocks no problem but my rocks have turned completely white. no color at all. something doesnt seem right. perhaps my LR is totally dieing and becoming base rock? need help b4 its to late
Old 07-18-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Your ammonia seems extremely high, but the coraline should make a come back once the cycle is through. Where did you get the rock from, how long was it in transit?

Old 07-18-2003, 05:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

i got the rock from etropicals.com it came from florida and was in transit less than

24 hours. since the ammonia is so high i dont think i need a shrimp.

a ton of dead things are floating on top too. one looks like a clear ooze about the size of a quarter. im taking them out cus i know that contributes to ammonia.

man my whole house stinks worse than when i had the 2 shrimp rotting in it. any suggestions other than 20 lbs of open baking soda boxes around my tank?

bah i always leave out something....when i got home my tank was overflowing with bubbles and my protein skimmer was full of SMELLY dark brown liquid. i know the brown stuff is normal but how do i regulate it so the bubbles dont overflow my tank?
Old 07-18-2003, 05:39 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like that rock was out of water for more than 24 hours. I'd run a bunch of carbon.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

this is becoming a nightmare....whats running a bunch of carbon mean?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:15 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Granular Activated Carbon, removes toxins and smells from the water. Running cabon simply means putting a bag of GAC in an area of waterflow like your sump/filter.

Old 07-18-2003, 06:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
this is becoming a nightmare....whats running a bunch of carbon mean?
Don't get discouraged your on the right track. Here is a link to give you some info on carbon http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showqu...q=2&fldAuto=11

Good luck

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com