Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How to set up a Biocube 14gal? New to saltwater

Ok im fixing to set up my very first salt water tank. I currently have a 14gal biocube freshwater. I choose to get another 14gal biocube for a saltwater setup.

As of now i have the tank, heater, thermometer, skimmer, circulation pump, and floss from my freshwater tank to use.

I plan on taking out the bioballs and replacing them with LR and floss on top if thats correct.

Once i get the LR and substrate what exactly are the best steps for setting this tank up? do i add just LR then later add substrate or add both at the beginning?

How long will it take for the tank to cycle?

After cycling what are the best "beginner" type fish to get and how many?

Also i would like to get corals at some point after cycling and getting fish. What would be the best ones to get for a biocube 14gal?

Like i said im new to the salt water tank and i really dont want to mess this up so all advice is welcome.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would get a Koralia 550 for a powerhead

I added my live rock and sand at the same time and it is fine. Just add ammonia and record the water parameters.

It takes a tank to cycle from 2-6 weeks usually.

I would get an occelaris clownfish (nemo) as your first fish, and then adding one small fish like a fire goby later.

With stocklights you can get soft and LPS corals. I would recommend zoanthid, mushroom, and green star polyps as corals

Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

how much LR should be used to replace the bioballs?
Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wait, I'm sorry, I thought this was a 29 Biocube build. My only change is the powerhead. I would get a Koralia 240 or a bit higher. A 550 is way too much flow.

Enough live rock to fill the space
Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah i think the one i got is a 250
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good sorry about that. What fish are you planning on?
Old 10-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

clownfish probably just to start with. Do you think two would do fine in a 14gal tank? I know they are some what aggressive. Also do you know how much live rock should be used to replace the bioballs?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_guy2002 View Post
clownfish probably just to start with. Do you think two would do fine in a 14gal tank? I know they are some what aggressive. Also do you know how much live rock should be used to replace the bioballs?
Two clownfish will do fine in a biocube 14, but if you think you will want any other fish, you might want to add the clowns last just because of the possible aggression once they declare the entire tank their territory. Or just make sure you get ocellaris clowns (not percula clowns) as ocellaris clowns are pretty peaceful.

Can't help with the rubble rock - I used a media basket and aquaclear media filter to replace my bioballs.

Have fun with it!

30g FOWLR Tank
8g Mantis Shrimp Tank
all4wheels2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I started my 29g biocube with rock rubble in the back and then also switched to a media tray and I added a fuge as well with macro algae.

I agree on the clowns, 2 might be pushing it in a 14g tank though, so any other fish will have to be small.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll add my 2 cents worth

Depending on how much flow you want, another option is to upgrade the stock pump in chamber 3 to a mini-jet 900. That combined with the Koralia 240 powerhead gives really nice circulation.

I use just the media tray in the middle chamber with, in order, floss in the top, to catch any large stuff, then Purigen in the middle, then a combination of Chemi-pure Elite and Denitrator in the lower chamber. I am a little timid about setting up a refugium as I have had them before and didn't have any great luck with them..but that was probably operator error on my part.

My water changes are probably a bit much as I do a good 30-40% on a weekly basis, but, everyone is happy and healthy so it must be working. Water parameters are stable.

Tags
bio, biocube, cube, salt, saltwater, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com