Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

How to start a SW tank?

So I have a 10 gallon tank with nothing in it, and I am contemplating making it a SW tank.

I have nooooo clue about SW so I am going to have to ask for help. I want sand on the bottom and have a PF10 filter. I know what lighting also.

Live rock? Coral? Fish? Mixing water? Protein skimmers? Invertebrates? I wann know just about everything lmao it's allot of info so a good link with good info would be enough. Or multiple if you know any

Old 08-19-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

here are some links for setting up a sw tank. You wouldnt need a skimmer on such a small tank if you do your weekly water changes. You say you know the lights already, what lights are you figuring on, that will dictate what if any corals you can keep.

Cycle your salt tank
Ammonia conversion to nitrate
Important Information for those new to the Aquarium Hobby
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I recently set up a tank and found this book really helpful: The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paletta. He explains everything clearly and it's not too much info for beginners so you're not overwhelmed. It's on Amazon for $13 and a great investment.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Zoo med 50/50 lights, accidently got them when i was setting upa planted FW tank and learned why they only work for reefs lol

Thanks for responding carey, i have seen you all over the forum and just got done looking at the pictures from your online order, really nice clowns

Thank you for the book idea, i was hoping on keeping it to online and free articles tho, maybe if i can get it on my kindle app
Old 08-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

O and really funny thing, i live down south in Homestead and was just up in deltona volunteering at the Methodist Childrens Home. small world
Old 08-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you use that lighting you will probably have to replace thebulbs for corals, but it should be sufficent for basic corals like zooa's, leathers and mushrooms. Beyond that depends on the bulbs you choose in my opinion. Def not enough light for any anemones or anything needing major lighting.

Check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums and check out the nano fish section as well as the corals. They have them set up for beginners so you can see what needs what.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks

looks like clowns need more than 10 gallons, so whats a good stocking idea? I was thinking live rock, some shrimp, 1 or two fish to hang on the bottom, than small fish that would live around the live rock/coral
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Clown gobies are awesome little fish, but you can only have one or they will fight. You could also get a single clown or maybe some cardinal fish.

A pair of clowns needs at least a 20g in my opinion but one with a goby should be fine. I also have porcelain crabs, a pom pom crab, emerlad crabs and two peppermint shrimp in my 4g. You could also get gold coral banded shrimp too. Lots of invert room and low bioload.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

That sounds really nice!

so maybe

1 clown
and inverts
and maybe 1 or 2 other fish?

or

small fish
and inverts

Im going to start doing allot of reaserch so i can get a better idea of what i want. Thank you so much and i hope you dont mind me asking questions along the way!
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Ask away, thats what we are all here for.

Good luck! let us know when you start her up!

Tags
start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com