How to start a SW tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
So i have been in the hobbie for about 5 monthes and currently have a 20g long community tank and am setting up a 55g SA cichlid tank.
I love marine fish and was wanting to know how much and what i would have to to get to make my 20g long a reef tank and some types of fish i could put inside, Thanks in advance guys!

have you done any research yet? you will need salt, hydrometer/refractometer, lights, live or dry rock, powerheads, protein skimmer, heater, separate equipment(buckets, siphons etc). i would suggest tons of research first. i can also recommend a very helpful book called The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art and Technology

You could get some clowns, shrimp, goby, blenny, lots of options! It is fun, but does take lots of research. I would go bigger if I were you!

have you done any research yet? you will need salt, hydrometer/refractometer, lights, live or dry rock, powerheads, protein skimmer, heater, separate equipment(buckets, siphons etc). i would suggest tons of research first. i can also recommend a very helpful book called The Reef Aquarium: Science, Art and Technology

Ok thanks so just a quick question can i just use a marineland emperor 400 filter for a 90g or do i need a sump?

You could get some clowns, shrimp, goby, blenny, lots of options! It is fun, but does take lots of research. I would go bigger if I were you!

Yeah i kinda wanted somthing on the small side with some blennys, clowns and gobys like you mentioned

I wouldnt use just an emperor hob on a 90g. Youd need additional filtration if you plan on fully utilizing the volume of the 90g. Also, smaller (nano) tanks are harder to maintain and control compared to bigger tanks. Just some food for thought

I wouldnt use just an emperor hob on a 90g. Youd need additional filtration if you plan on fully utilizing the volume of the 90g. Also, smaller (nano) tanks are harder to maintain and control compared to bigger tanks. Just some food for thought

No i ment the emperor on the 20g

Ok so i did a bunch of reasearch and yesterday we got 37g with 35lbs of live rock, 20 pounds pf live sand, a canister filter,(some type of cascade.)a cpr bakpak protien skimmer, some lights, and a bunch of food, chemicals, and buffers.( the lights and hood are not on it right now but will be in a little bit includeing the power heads.)

image-829655859.jpg

image-427923836.jpg

I hope you don't plan on putting those in your tank. You need to wait for your tank to cycle. At least another 3 weeks.
Ok so i got the tank of craigslist with 30lbs of live rock, a canister filter, a cpr bakpak protien skimmer, and we saver 15 gallons of there water (there tank was up for 5 years.)
And then bought 20lbs of live sand, a power head,and 22 gallons of SW. I tested right before we got them and it was
0 ammonia
0 nitrates
0 nitrites
0 phosphates
Ph 8.4

Its cycled

Back
Top Bottom