Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-09-2005, 08:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

You can do it very affordable I have a 5g hex thats been up for 4 months

lr 40.00
sand 20.00
tank 45.00
50/50 pc 10w light 11.00 (I know its not enough I am making a new hood)
new hob 50g 35.00 (biggest that would fit on the 5g hex)
test kit 20.00
nemo 10.00
frag of polyps 3.00
leather coral 35.00
kent reef starter kit 15.00

the only thing that has died is a condy that was sucked into my intake.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

$150 for a 30 gallon beginners setup is very doable. You just have to hunt a bit and be willing to fab some equipment here and there. You probably know 2 or 3 people with old tanks they will give you for next to nothing, probably with a stand. The rest is just pieceing it all together. I have *maybe* around $700 in my 140g soft reef, not including livestock. For fowlr I could have done it for around $300.

Old 02-10-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
50/50 pc 10w light 11.00 (I know its not enough I am making a new hood)

Wonder where you can get a PC 10W for $11.00?

Anywho, I just setup my tank 45Gal. and it cost me $1900.00CDN(so about 1300-1500US$) I bought most of my stuff from 4 Provinces(states)over cause it was ALOT cheaper. I consider the prices I payed for stuff and I think I did pretty good. I hardly consider what I have to be a great setup, but for now It'll do.

My advice would be if your trying to be cheap, perhaps you should consider another hobby. I dont mean to sound rude so I apologize if I do.
A SW aquarium is a great thing but you'll only get out of it what you put in to it. From what I've read and heard, Spend more money now and you wont regret it in the end( IF your SERIOUS!)
Old 02-10-2005, 05:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Jonathan G.
Im also in the midst of setting up my 75 gal tank i purchased right after christmas lol... its been a while since then but im making sure i get everything right before i jump into the setup. I would say i've dropped at least 800-900 dollars and still haven't purchased live rock.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
My advice would be if your trying to be cheap, perhaps you should consider another hobby. I dont mean to sound rude so I apologize if I do.
It's not so much that I want to be cheap. I prefer to spend more money to get QUALITY products that to try to get by with cheap products. But I also don't want to spend $1000 on a hobby that six months from now I no longer consider it worth the effort. Basically, I don't want to become that person that can "donate" to the neibor that gets interested next year.

Of course what really got this thread started was a previous thread where I asked about an Eclipse12 SW tank for $160 being a good starter tank. One of the responces that I got was the I could set up a 30g tank for $150. But from the research I've done, I was finding that impossible (at least purchasing NEW equipment).

So the REAL purpose of this thread was to confirm that FOR ME, setting up a $150 30g tank is rediculous. Sure it can be done, but you need either connections, friends, or a place to get things cheap, and the know-how of this hobby. Since I don't have ANY of those things, it's rediculous to think I can set up a 30g tank for $150.

So even if I started with an Eclipse12, I'd still be spending $250-300 just to get started after purchasing LF, LS, test kits and other misc items.

But my real thinking is that I wouldn't be really happy unless I started with a 30g tank. Sounds like startup cost would be $500 - $750 (for what I'd want) and right now, I don't need to be spending that much money (we're about to pay for a 14-day cruise costing $$$$, so now might not be the time to drop $$$ on a NEW hobby).
as I've looked at the numbers, it's realisticly looking like I would spend AT LEAST $500
Old 02-10-2005, 06:16 PM   #16

there is the light

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=9870
Old 02-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

rent a car and a good thug for 150 bucks and go rob a fish store
Old 02-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
I understand your point. I guess I started with a couple FW tanks thats what got me interested. Why not maybe start with that? It wont cost as much and you can see if you really like it. Also valuble lessons can be learned from it.
just my 2 cents

Interesting PC link by the way. that'll be nice for all those people that are stuck with the ol filament bulbs
Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #19

there is the light

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...=6&pCatId=9870
Old 02-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, call me a skeptic, but I simply don't believe claims of complete 30+ gal tank setups for $300. I guess it depends on your concept of "complete". Add a pump (I bought two), heater, live sand, thermometer, hydrometer, skimmer, salt,water (RO), etc., and there's just no way to do it for $300, unless you are lucky enough to get some things for free or at garage sales, foreclosures, etc. (Or if you buy such cheap stuff that you'll end up replacing it all at a much higher cost later on.)

Like I said, I'm already at over $800 for a 30 gal tank for which I already had the lights, stand, tank itself, tank for a sump, and a decent heater, and I don't have anything in it except live sand. This $800 cost includes sand, salt, food, RO/DI, thermometer, acrylic and pvc for sump, pumps, powerheads, new nets, kalkwasser, maintenance/cleanup stuff, containers for mixing salt + water and for storage, buffer and test kits for pH, calcium, phosphate, hardness, and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. It does NOT include live rock and macroalgae, inverts and fish - nor increased lighting for coral.

Just my 2 cents on top of my $800+ dollars.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com