Howdy all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

notto2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. I am new to the site. I am excited about starting my first Salt Water tank! I know everyone recommends starting big but I already have a 30 gallon tank and so I am going to start with this tank and see how it goes. I am thinking I will purchase a eheim canister filter and a protein skimmer to start with along with live rock and sand to get started and use the shrimp method to cycle my tank. If you have any comments or suggestions to my starting plans please let me know! I look forward to this adventure! (I have had fresh water tanks all my life.)

Natalie

Welcome to the site!
Props for the fishless cycle.
Suggestions:
Don't buy "live" sand.
API master SW tests are good for starters (you already have exp in FW, so I'm not saying you are new).
Take it slow.
Get a refractometer.
Get a 10G QT.
Take it slow.
Enjoy the beauty!

what is a 10 gallon QT? ( Quarantine Tank?)
I have no problem with being called a newbie cause after all saltwater tanks is a whole new ball game.

Ehhh, personally I don't like the term newbie....heck, we all started out being new.
QT you nailed it. It is a small tank where you can watch your new critters and make sure they won't introduce parasites/disease into your main tank. If you are familiar with at least ich, in SW we can't really just up the temp and kill it. Hyposalinity and starvation is the best way to kill it.

Sounds good. See I am starting with a 30 gallon because its the biggest one I have. I have about 5 tanks from my freshwater adventures. So I'll have to go find the little 10 gallon tank. Thanks so much for your advice! Also do you think that my filtration system with be enough or do you have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks
Natalie

I think what you're starting with sounds great. If you run 30-40 lbs of live rock in the tank, you won't need any additional biological filtration in the cannister. So I'd just use that as additional water and possibly put some type of chemical filtration in it like carbon, purigen, etc.

I think roka gave great advice in that short little post! Hey Scott... maybe you can add THAT to your signature line?!

LOL! Again with the sig line!
I agree with Kurt. I like to run purigen in my filters, carbon needs to be replace often and purigen can be replenished.

Quick question I want to get my tank cycling first and was wondering if I can start it with just live rock and 2 powerheads and add the filter and protein skimmer a little later. Don't have all the money to get it all this week but would like to get rolling.

Thanks once again!

Why yes, yes you can. Make sure you purchase uncured live rock to jump-start your cycle properly.

And if you scroll up to roka64's last post, you can click on one of his numerous links in his signature line, "Fishless Cycling", and read on how to use a shrimp from the grocery store to help the cycle along if the rock doesn't have enough stuff on it to die off, giving you an ammonia source.

Ok I need some help in the lighting department. I want this to be a reef tank and I have no clue what to do with the lighting. I want good quality but not spend 500 dollars if you know what I mean.

oh one more quick question sorry! The 30 gallon tank I am going to use was previously used for a fresh water tank ( years ago ) Is there some way in which I need to clean it? Or is it fine?

Over the years, Have you ever treateed your FW fish for ICH in that tank. I've read that the medication used to treat ICH stays in your tank (forever?). If so, Inverts and Corals can NOT be added.

When I just set up my FOWLR tank, I had to rack my brain to see if I was in this boat too. I bought my tank in 1996 new.

oh one more quick question sorry! The 30 gallon tank I am going to use was previously used for a fresh water tank ( years ago ) Is there some way in which I need to clean it? Or is it fine?

When I would clean tanks I would add a cap of bleach to a bucket of water and wash the inside and outside of the tank. You must then let the tank air dry. Once the tank is dry then the chlorine is gone. Make sure it`s unscented. I`ve done this with several tanks.

So today we went to the LFS and purchased our argonite, live rock, and powerheads. THey did not have uncured live rock :( So I was forced to purchase all cured. It is all set up and I plan on purchasing my shrimp for it tomorrow. I have tested the water it is
SG - 1.017
Calcium - 440
KH- 17.9
Phosphates - .5
Nitrate- 0

Welcome to the AA and welcome to the saltie side....You have gotten great advice so far and your are definitley starting off on the right foot!!! Good luck.....AND POST PICS!!!! (you will hear that alot!!)

Guys I'm so glad I joined this site and I'm going through all this information. I'm totally new to aquariums so I guess I should make a decision if I should go with fresh or saltwater.

Kampachi
G.gif

Back
Top Bottom