How's this for my first setup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well Here I go!! Ordered LR today and should be here on my day off next week. Here's my setup so far. Please give me any input you may have, like stuff I overlooked or suggestions.

45 Gal Tank
NO Flou.----For now PC(2x96)coming in a month or so.
Aqua C remora Skimmer With MJ 1200 PH
2x MJ 1200 PH
Fluval 304 Canister Filter
2x 150W Visi-Therm heaters---! Ebo-jager 300 as a backup and to heat my water changes.
60Lbs Aragamax Sugar sand-CaribSea
20Lbs AragAlive FijiPink live sand--Caribsea
65Lbs Fiji premium LR

Also,
Instant ocean Hydrometer-Refractometer coming when I can spare some $
Instant Ocean Salt
Milwaukee Instruments Constant Digital pH monitor
Hagen Master Test Kit
Digital thermometer with temp alert
Spare MJ 1200 PH
Rubbermaid containers

And about 4 Book on SW aquariums. The conscientious marine aquarist was VERY helpful. Thanx to all the people in here that suggested it!

Did a dry run with FW for the past 4 days so I'll empty it and do a final level on the tank this weekend and be adding the RO water on Monday a couple days(3-4) before the LR shows up.

Let me know what you think.
:)

You forgot the partridge... you know... the pear tree thing? :D Setup looks great!!!
Just be patient with what you add in, don't have too many fish, and you should have an awesome start. Take some pics when you can!! :)

Hmmmm Expense!!!!
Thank-god I have a VERY understanding wife! :D
The only thing I kinda regret is not going sump.......next tank!
now my wifes hooked and she wants my 45 when I upgrade!
hehehe

hmmmmm...I wonder how soon that'll be!

anyone think 2 maxi jet 1200 is too much for a 45 gal? I only have two 900's in my 75 and my friend has two 1200's in his 120gal setup.

Flow is supposed to be at least 10x per gallon of water you have. 2 MJ 1200's is 690Gph
In the book They Conscientious Marine Aquarist the suggest up to 20x per gallon.

Any other tips or suggestions?
Also when I start to cycle, should I do any water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites down or just cycle with no water changes?

Thanx

I did water changes mostly because I cycled mine with a clown in it. You want to keep the cycle going but try to keep things in check so all of the hitchhikers don't die. Messing with the water during the cycle can increase the length of time it takes.

What are you planning on keeping in the tank once it cycles?

Also when I start to cycle, should I do any water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites down or just cycle with no water changes?

I think if you have any decent life on your LR you may HAVE to do water changes - depending on the quality of the LR (low amount of die-off). From what I've read, ammonia can be toxic above 1 ppm. During my cycle with three dead shrimp, my ammonia was above 8 for 4 straight days. It's now 5, and nitrites are about 3, with nitrates 50+. I'm cycling with only sand in the tank and sump. I'm hoping that my eventual LR spike will be very small so that it doesn't kill off my macro hitchhikers, if any.

Be careful with a red-lipped blenny. I had one in my 90 gal that attacked every other fish regardless of size. Had to take him back to LFS. HTH

Stephen

Be careful with a red-lipped blenny. I had one in my 90 gal that attacked every other fish regardless of size

OUCH. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. How about the lawnmower blenny? Any experience with that?

midiman said:
Be careful with a red-lipped blenny. I had one in my 90 gal that attacked every other fish regardless of size

OUCH. Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind. How about the lawnmower blenny? Any experience with that?
I've never had a lawnmower blenny so I can't say.

Back
Top Bottom