Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-28-2005, 03:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HowTo: Chemicals "neutralize" chlorines in H20

Hello,

I've just been bothered with knowing exactly how these wonder chlorine removing chemicals* work. We've all heard the claims they make:

"Neutralizes Chlorine and Chloramines in Tap Water"

Well, the question I ask: How do they do this?

Anyone want to stab at this? Chemists insight/details are welcome. I imagine they accelerate chlorine evaporation, but through what means? Is the Chlorine in the water bonded to Sodium perhaps, causing the chemical to engage in ion substition exchange?

What the heck do these things do and how do they do it?

* Equally annoyed, I'm wondering how Stress Coat, "Neutralizes heavy metals." Unless the same as the chlorine removing reaction, I will start a sister thread to answer questions related to enlightening on that seperate process.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

do a search. this has been answered in great detail a few times. essentially the water treatment causes chlorine and chloramine to release bonds andd reform as ammonium. ammonium isn't very toxic ot fish, and the bacteria in your tank will quickly convert it to nitrite then nitrate.

fyi, i wouldn' u ese stress coat. it contains a lott of junk, like aloe vera, which fish don't neeed. fish don't grow aloe vera plants in the wild...if you keep your water quality up, thtey won't need it in your ttank either.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
do a search. this has been answered in great detail a few times.
Searching, I've read that Water is chlorinated through two possible processes:

1. Chlorinate water by adding liquid chlorine.
2. Chlorinate water by spraying water with gaseous chlorine.

Also, I found the chemical added is Sodium Hypochlorate. http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokor...POCHLORITE.htm

Now, I don't know if this chemical is used just with pools or also to water supply and settling tanks. However:

Wikipedia identifies that Sodium Hypochlorate is added very sparingly to drinking water:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hypochlorite

"A 12% solution is widely used in waterworks for the chlorination of water."

Perhaps knowing the chemical in the water will allow more detailed explanation of how to rid it from the water? =)s

Tags
chemi, chemical, chemicals

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com