HPballer76's 72 gallon bow. first sw tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah thats what i was thinking. is that possible to do with water in the tank? or would it need to be drained completely? i'm going to go to the lfs and see what they say later today.

also tested the water again today and im at

ph- 8
ammo- 0
nitrites- 0
nitrates- 10

so after i get the mishap taken care of i should be able to add my first fish right? i'm thinking i will probably start with a pair of clowns. also can i add some of the cleaning crew at the same time as the clowns??

well i think i have got the tank fixed for now. i plan to upgrade to something bigger in the summer so hopefully it will hold up till then.

from doing a little research it seems that i have Aiptasia and Anemonia majano in the tank. what should i do to remove them?

peppermint shrimp will eat both of them? or just one?

another question my tank has only 1 koralia 750gph powerhead in it along with the return flow so i'm looking at adding a second. someone local has 2 koralia 5 powerheads and from googling it they say the put out about 1600 gph would that be to much for my tank? i'm assuming it is but he only wants 35 for both so i might pick them up.

Yea they will way both and on the power heads I will buy them great deal if its to much flow take one out and you have a spare

alright cool they will be on the list to get. how many should i have in a 72 gallon?

and yeah i think i am going to pick up the powerheads and if there to much i can always resell them. it will be really nice if i can use both of these pointed at each other and put the 750 behind the rocks.

I have a 125g and I had Five far as the power heads I have a 75g and I have three power heads one behind the rocks and two up top pointing the length of the tank

i have been working on the tank just haven't had much time to post about it.

made a stand for my skimmer.
img_1728298_0_c36cb194dff793bd45af4d0bd6013955.jpg

then i didn't like the way the plumbing was done so i redid it.

old
img_1728298_1_e3e2509517428f4896cfe0b6cab53994.jpg

img_1728298_2_87f5da8f01e216681421053dfdb1407f.jpg

the old plumbing cut off.
img_1728298_3_c3ad66563b64ef3b7dbffb84100a694c.jpg

skimmer stand in the sump.
img_1728298_4_94b248e9fbbec3e4495b0e7f48e28c00.jpg

skimmer on the stand.
img_1728298_5_25f758f9cc0a4c69c69ae690925d81ee.jpg

new inlet pipe with ball valve and quick connect.
img_1728298_6_3c09c1ab05da3d744cb64c6a8c48aab6.jpg

and the return line with ball valve and quick connect. also put a t in for my refugium.
img_1728298_7_607e1893e416fab02614f23e3e196512.jpg

ball valve to control flow through the fuge.
img_1728306_0_86f4fe2317a66bcc11eda45da55760de.jpg

everything done except for the fuge.
img_1728306_1_12fbf2092981dd47e293031c7d14384d.jpg

and how im running the fuge section for now. just have a few bio balls that came with the tank and an aquaclear 50 running in that section for now.
img_1728306_2_e5efc21a84a1bb84a0b997476a18c2cf.jpg

also i have had my first fish in the tank for a week and a half or so now. an eight line wrasse. i got him off of the lfs recommendations because i had some red flat worms in the tank and they said he would eat them. after reading a little more about them he might be to aggressive for my tank but we will see. i really like him so hopefully he will behave lol.

how long will it take for the bacteria to establish in the ac50? i'm going to setup a 15 or 20 gallon qt tank and will use the ac50 on that. just wondering how long it will need to run on the main tank before i put it on the qt?

alright guys i need some help with stocking.

my next addition to the tank will be the clean up crew. how many and of what should i add to my tank? it is getting a pretty decent amount of hair algae so i want to make sure i get a jump on that with the clean up crew.

as far as fish go here is a list of things i am interested in.

eight line wrasse (only fish in the tank so far)
lawnmower blenny
watchman goby
some kind of butterflyfish
kole yellow eye tang
white tail bristletooth tang
yellow tang
some kind of dwarf angel
fire fish
some kind of flasher wrasse
pair of clowns

i know not all of those will get along or fit in my tank. that is just a general list of fish i like. looking for everyones help on what to actually get.

i am pretty positive i am going to get a 125 to setup in my basement this summer but im not sure if i will keep the 72 running then or not so keep that in mind.

i would really like to have a puffer, trigger and some kind of eel but i think i will wait and possible get those for the 125 if i can afford to run both tanks.

always open to suggestions on other fish. like i sad that is just a quick list.

thanks for the help everyone!

Thats quite the list you have there for fish! I would limit the tangs to one, preferably a Kole tang based on the size of your tank.

Butterfly fish can be kinda difficult to get eating, I think it really depends on the kind you go with. My kleins butterfly ate straight out of the bag and eats everything I put in so I think I got lucky.

Also, if you are going to get corals at some point you may want to pass on the angel fish as they are known coral nippers usually. :)

Heniochus butterfly is another good one . I got one the other day. Easy to take care of and hasn't refused any type of food yet.

haha yes i know that was a big list. i was basically just scrolling through live aquaria and writing down things i was interested in that could work. lol

this is what i am thinking as far as stocking goes

eight line wrasse
kole tang
heniochus butterfly (thanks for the suggestion hondatek. really like the look of those)
lawnmower blenny
watchmen goby and pistol shrimp pair (hopefully they pair up)
pair of clowns
flasher wrasse
pair of fire fish.

is that overstocked? if so what should i remove or change?

I wouldnt say overstocked, but i wouldnt add anymore. Not sure about the pair of butterflys though. :)

yeah i think that will be plenty if i even add all of those. the butterflys will probably be last and may not even go in this tank. i might just wait till i get a 125 to put them in.

i don't plan on ever having corals so i'm not worried about that.

is there any particular order i should add the fish in?

I have read a pair of heniocus can work if the tank is big enough and introduced at the same time. But they will fight to establish who is the boss. I would stick with one butterfly personally .

I don't doubt that a pair is a bad idea at all . Just going by what my saltwater encyclopedia says about them establishing their status among themselves . The main reasoning I suggest one is to save room for a different fish you like since a pair is not needed for a happy heniochus.

Back
Top Bottom