Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Freak

ahh gotcha. edited my post to just one heniochus.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

considering changing up my lighting. i like the look of the retrofit t5s that are in there now and with the 4 bulbs i could keep a variety of corals but i'm just not interested in keeping them. so i was thinking about getting one the marineland double bright led fixtures. i like the idea of the leds because they should be much more efficient and cheaper to run. plus they will give off less heat which is a problem i am having with my current lights.

so what do you guys think of this fixture? is the light output enough for a fish only tank to look nice? i was thinking of getting the 36-48inch fixture to use on my 72 then add a second one later on when i upgrade to the 125. but i'm worried that with the 36 inch light it won't be enough light?

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO I think t5 lighting adds the best color and I'm not a big fan of the marines and led lights. I have one on my 40 gallon. If you get them get at least 2 because they don't produce enough light to fill all the corners of the tank. I think that if you have more water movement on the top of the water you should be having any effect from the t5 heat on your water temp. I Run 4 t5ho bulbs over my 25 gallon tank and it's the same temp regardless of the lights being on or off.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:47 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

thats what i was afraid of oh well it was a good thought. and its not to hot i'm just not that big of a fan of the retrofit in the hood. i would prefer a fixture. the energy efficient leds and not having to replace bulbs seemed like a nice option.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well those things are true, I mean lots of people like LEDs I just think that the color t5 achieve with whites and antics is just so nice. If you go with LEDs just be sure to get the double brights but you would still need 2 IMO. I also don't like retro fits very much because the tank is normaly a lot darker beings the bulbs don't have individual reflectors.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

i would definitely get the double brights if i got them. if the reef capable ones weren't over double the price i would get those just for the extra light even though i won't be keeping corals. my retrofit is actually pretty bright. i have been running the tank with just 2 bulbs a 10k and actinic and it is plenty of light. i have the fulham workhorse 7 t5 ho ballast so i could run 4 39w bulbs if i want.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

i also wired up an aquahub diy auto top off using an aqua lifter vacuum pump yesterday. after having it running for a little over a day it looks like i've used almost exactly a gallon in 24 hours. does that sound like a normal evap rate?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's no "normal" evap rate. It all depends on your tank, sump, enclosure etc. But from experience, 1g a day seems in range.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i realize every tank is going to be different. just wanted to make sure that wasn't way to much. salinity and everything has stayed stable since adding the ato so i figured it was right. just wanted to make sure
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, watching your parameters is the best way to check. Yours look good!

Tags
2 gallon, 72 gallon, first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com