HPballer76's 72 gallon bow. first sw tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
considering changing up my lighting. i like the look of the retrofit t5s that are in there now and with the 4 bulbs i could keep a variety of corals but i'm just not interested in keeping them. so i was thinking about getting one the marineland double bright led fixtures. i like the idea of the leds because they should be much more efficient and cheaper to run. plus they will give off less heat which is a problem i am having with my current lights.

so what do you guys think of this fixture? is the light output enough for a fish only tank to look nice? i was thinking of getting the 36-48inch fixture to use on my 72 then add a second one later on when i upgrade to the 125. but i'm worried that with the 36 inch light it won't be enough light?

IMO I think t5 lighting adds the best color and I'm not a big fan of the marines and led lights. I have one on my 40 gallon. If you get them get at least 2 because they don't produce enough light to fill all the corners of the tank. I think that if you have more water movement on the top of the water you should be having any effect from the t5 heat on your water temp. I Run 4 t5ho bulbs over my 25 gallon tank and it's the same temp regardless of the lights being on or off.

thats what i was afraid of :( oh well it was a good thought. and its not to hot i'm just not that big of a fan of the retrofit in the hood. i would prefer a fixture. the energy efficient leds and not having to replace bulbs seemed like a nice option.

Well those things are true, I mean lots of people like LEDs I just think that the color t5 achieve with whites and antics is just so nice. If you go with LEDs just be sure to get the double brights but you would still need 2 IMO. I also don't like retro fits very much because the tank is normaly a lot darker beings the bulbs don't have individual reflectors.

i would definitely get the double brights if i got them. if the reef capable ones weren't over double the price i would get those just for the extra light even though i won't be keeping corals. my retrofit is actually pretty bright. i have been running the tank with just 2 bulbs a 10k and actinic and it is plenty of light. i have the fulham workhorse 7 t5 ho ballast so i could run 4 39w bulbs if i want.

i also wired up an aquahub diy auto top off using an aqua lifter vacuum pump yesterday. after having it running for a little over a day it looks like i've used almost exactly a gallon in 24 hours. does that sound like a normal evap rate?

There's no "normal" evap rate. It all depends on your tank, sump, enclosure etc. But from experience, 1g a day seems in range.

yeah i realize every tank is going to be different. just wanted to make sure that wasn't way to much. salinity and everything has stayed stable since adding the ato so i figured it was right. just wanted to make sure ;)

There's no "normal" evap rate. It all depends on your tank, sump, enclosure etc. But from experience, 1g a day seems in range.

I run glass lids over I'd say 80% covered on the top of my 72 bow (there is about 2" along the back that's open), I have a 20g long sump and I lose about .75 gallons per day.

yeah i don't have lids. just a canopy so thats probably where i get the little extra evaporation. i also have a 20 gallon sump i just have a 20 high instead of the long.

added an emerald crab, 5 red hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails, 4 Nassarius snails, and 2 cerith snails today.

i am going to be out of town for a couple days and was considering leaving the lights out for the days i'm gone. what do you guys think? would that help cut down on some of the algae growth and let the cuc get started?

also how do you guys think a pair of the lights being discussed here
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/can-you-look-at-this-for-me-188793.html

would do over my tank? i put all 4 bulbs back in my t5s today and i love the color of them but they just give off to much heat. and i like the idea of saving some money on the power bill with the leds and not having to replace bulbs. but would 2 of those be to much over a fowlr tank?

took some pics just haven't got around to uploading them till today.

the 72 with the 15 qt setup beside it.
img_1754401_0_c1231bebdcb623d1e2e367a9d662212c.jpg

the new emerald when i first put him in the tank.
img_1754401_1_b5e2903e656ceab8d4a27f14fa67c9fd.jpg

and another shot of the emerald this morning with the lights off.
img_1754401_2_8e6e11a5403866ec5a12844eb975e8ee.jpg

anyone have any advice on the questions above?

that looks really nice carey! i saw where you said you were going to get one. was waiting to see how you liked it ;) so it looks like a pair of them would work just fine on my tank. would it be possible to put them in a canopy or would they need to be hung?

i think i will be putting a pair of those on the to buy list! thanks so much carey!

took another shot of the dt and qt. the rubber maid to left of the tank is ro water for the ato to keep the tank topped off for the few days im out of town :)

img_1755170_0_e1145a38e591b791d49da45ef4687e04.jpg

also picked up this the other day. another reason i am looking at the leds. i could use them on this for a future build ;)
img_1755170_1_969c72a6118d9b9bd72dc4bcff8d7d7e.jpg
img_1755170_2_b854d8cfc0b116d69486a55d6e7432fe.jpg
img_1755170_3_806e8e5149abbc4d20dd907a011f5ad1.jpg
img_1755170_4_ccb05ee92419c6b82db73d90769f1f0e.jpg

Back
Top Bottom