HPballer76's 72 gallon bow. first sw tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well went to the lfs today plaining to get a lawnmower blenny but i ended up coming home with this guy.

img_1765769_0_eb512be0a4c416547be008df2e4a85ef.jpg

he is a starry blenny, hes pretty big at about 4 1/2 inches.

Nice fish! I've gone back and forth with those starry blennies,lol, I love em but just havent had the perfect tank to get one yet. :)

Oh, nothing bad about the fish at all. :-D

I have a lawnmower blenny in the 125g so I cant get one in there, a yellow warchman in the cube, I want a midas blenny for the 90g so I' almost out of options of tanks. LOL maybe in the 60g rimless i am working on.....it' an awesome fish

ohh gotcha, you had me worried there for a second lol.

he is still hiding a lot but is moving around. every time i walk into the room he is in a different spot. thinking about going to get 2 clowns and put them in the qt tank.

also just ordered a koralia 1050 to go on the other side of the tank. right now it just has the return and a 750.

Sounds good, great flow is key in saltwater. :) I'm a firm believer that you can't have too much. lol I was running 2 750's in my 29g and loved it.

Yep, that's what I would do. :) Flow really shouldnt affect algae too much though, unless you have stagnant areas where food and yuck build up...

do you think the it could be from having so much light and not much of a clean up crew? the tank had some algae when i got it but it has definitely gotten worse. i don't know how old the bulbs are since i got the tank used. could that be the problem? the lights are on for 7 hours a day. i've only been feeding once every other day.

i would for sure get new bulbs if you dont know the age of them, plus you can get nice ones, the ones thats come with fixtures are usually not very good.

I had noticed a green film algae that was building up on my glass pretty fast and after I changed my bulbs the light green went away.

it actually has nice colored bulbs in it. i just don't know how old they are. it has 1 10k 1 actinic 1 blue plus and 1 purple plus.

maybe i will go ahead and bit the bullet on a pair of those led fixtures. i don't really like the retrofit that i have lol.

i want the leds but i keep going back to looking at these.Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

what do you think carey? would i be better off paying more now and getting the leds and saving on my electric bill or save the money and get one of the above fixtures with the built in timer?

If this is the tank you are gonna concentrate on then i think it's worth saving up some money for led's. I plan on buying an aquatraders quad T5 fixture for my 90g fish only tank.

I think the odyssea lights are good cheap lights. But you'd still have to change the bulbs and theres another 80-$100. For that price you can almost get led's, well, halfway anyways. LOL Another good thing is you wont have to change your bulbs every year or so, so you save on that as well.

Does your fixture have reflectors on each bulb by the way?

this tank is what i will be concentrating on for a while. hopping to setup the acrylic tank that is on page 5 sometime later this summer but i will more than likely take this tank down when that one is ready to go. so if i got the leds i could simply add a third fixture with that tank if i need to. its a 5ft tank. i don't think i will be able to afford another skimmer, pumps and everything else to have them both run at the same time. i would like to get a biocube or something small to have in my bedroom after the other tank is done though ;)

the light in it doesn't have a reflector it just has some reflective tape on the top of the hood behind the lights. there are pictures of the hood and lights on page 1

i'm also figuring its time to get the fuge section of my sump running. its had water running though it but nothing in it. i want to do some cheato but not sure if i should put anything else in there or not? should i put in sand or leave it bare bottom? if sand how deep should it be?.

the fuge section itself holds right at 5 gallons and i have my return section split so i can control flow through it. going to go in search of a light tomorrow. there are pics a few pages back.

I have sand, cheato, caulpera and some live rock in my refugium. I think thats pretty much the normal stuff. You can add other kinds of macro algae if you like as well. :)

That's how much I was thinking. I thought about doing a dsb and doing around 6 inches but I'm kinda scared I would end up stirring it up and releasing toxins.

I've went round and round in deciding whether to go with LED's or not. The thought of spending a ton of money on LED's, only to find something that essentially renders mine pointless a year or two down the road just made me decide to stick with T5HO.

I've decided on a Nova Extreme Pro. Marinedepot is having a sale on them right now which is pretty substantial. I'll be getting one next week unless someone convinces me it's a bad choice... which is doubtful. It also comes with decent bulbs... though I have 6 ATI bulbs.

That starry blenny looks pretty cool. I got a lawnmower the other day and he is just the coolest little fish ever. Full of personality.

Back
Top Bottom