Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Todd how much were you dosing and where you using the 3% or the 35%.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 03-14-2015, 12:53 AM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

If using ro/di water, you will be bringing in no nitrates or phosphates as the TDS should be 0. I would do large water change to ensure that the nitrates are 0 and the phosphates are in the .05 range (where my reef tank currently is for the record).
You can then use this old tank water as the base to mix peroxide into.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. I do use Ro/DI water and it does read 0 TDS

Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have successfully used peroxide dips, i dipped a rock full of zoas and a baby plate on it and everything is fine and actually looked better post dip.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:38 PM   #15
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I too would be weary of application in a display tank with lots of coral, though a lot of people report success with direct application via a medicine dropper. I think if you get your PO4 in control, it will go a long way towards inhibiting the algae growth you are experiencing. I go a month or more between water changes but I feed light and I run GFO to keep PO4 as close to 0 as I can, and while I do have some algae in the tank, it is very much under control and not a nuisance. Occasionally, if I get a spot that is trouble, I'll just scrub it off with a tooth brush in the tank and do some manual removal. But I rarely do this. Once the PO4 is under control, a little clean up crew addition may bring everything where you want it.

It sounds to me like you may be over feeding, depending on what you have in the tank. I feed Rods Reef, and for a tank with several fish, I feed a small piece smaller than my pinky nail daily or sometimes even every other day.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have greatly lowered the amount I was feeding. I feed LRS Herbfrenzy a started with half inch squares which I know now was too much. I'm feeding around an 1/8 inch square daily and every other day I use a new era mini marine grazers for my tang, (the tang is terrified of nori).I have 11 fish in 110g food is gone in 45-60 sec. My reactors should be here tomorrow. I have been relying solely on my refuge for nutrient export. I started using chemipure elite but I feel I'm wasting money by plopping the bag in the sump.

Tags
algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com