Hydrometer not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Belladog0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have just changed my 20 gallon tank to a saltwater tank. I am testing the water with the hydrometer and it's not moving!! I have put in all the salt it said to and followed the directions. Please respond quick because I am getting fish soon!

Thanks a ton!!

Belladog0 said:
Hello!

I have just changed my 20 gallon tank to a saltwater tank. I am testing the water with the hydrometer and it's not moving!! I have put in all the salt it said to and followed the directions. Please respond quick because I am getting fish soon!

Thanks a ton!!

Can you hold off on the fish until you get everything checked out? Is your tank cycled? Your just adding salt now and then adding fish right away? I'm new to the saltwater side but I'm still not ready for fish and I have about 30 pounds of LR,30 pounds of LS and I've added my salt. My salinity on the money, but it's everything else I'm watching now.

What kind of equipment are you using? How big is the tank? How much salt did you add? Like I said I'm new and just in the cycling phase but may be able to help a little. Hopefully more knowledgeable members will help out.

Convict2161 said:
Can you hold off on the fish until you get everything checked out? Is your tank cycled? Your just adding salt now and then adding fish right away? I'm new to the saltwater side but I'm still not ready for fish and I have about 30 pounds of LR,30 pounds of LS and I've added my salt. My salinity on the money, but it's everything else I'm watching now.

What kind of equipment are you using? How big is the tank? How much salt did you add? Like I said I'm new and just in the cycling phase but may be able to help a little. Hopefully more knowledgeable members will help out.

My tank is 20 gallons. Im cycling it now I am holding off fish until everything is checked out. I put in the right amount of salt for sure. But why is the hydrometer not working!?!?

Ok,take a deeeeeeeep breathe and say "there is no hurry". Nothing good happens quickly in saltwater. If you are adding salt now youre at least a month from your first fish. Your tool while basic is fairly foolproof. Odds are, as long as the arm swings freely it will work. Its easy enough to check. Take a water sample and seriously overload.it with salt. If it works you know the package directions on the salt arent matching your setup, which is pretty likely.

As a safety, take a sample and your hydro to your lfs. Have them test a corroborate the tools reading.

indy said:
Ok,take a deeeeeeeep breathe and say "there is no hurry". Nothing good happens quickly in saltwater. If you are adding salt now youre at least a month from your first fish. Your tool while basic is fairly foolproof. Odds are, as long as the arm swings freely it will work. Its easy enough to check. Take a water sample and seriously overload.it with salt. If it works you know the package directions on the salt arent matching your setup, which is pretty likely.

As a safety, take a sample and your hydro to your lfs. Have them test a corroborate the tools reading.

x2

I did that with mine. Brought it to my friend at the LFS and found it to be working just fine. Like the other poster said no hurry. I'm still in the cycle phase as I mentioned before. And don't have plans on adding anything anytime soon.

I actually enjoy looking at the just the rocks TBO.

Maybe take sample of water to LFS have them test salt to give you idea. Invest in a refractometer. Not too expensive I think I paid 50 for mine. Accurate and easy.

Mpfaff77 said:
Maybe take sample of water to LFS have them test salt to give you idea. Invest in a refractometer. Not too expensive I think I paid 50 for mine. Accurate and easy.

Thanks!!

Convict2161 said:
x2

I did that with mine. Brought it to my friend at the LFS and found it to be working just fine. Like the other poster said no hurry. I'm still in the cycle phase as I mentioned before. And don't have plans on adding anything anytime soon.

I actually enjoy looking at the just the rocks TBO.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom