hydrometer question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorian965

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was wondering if anyone could tell me waht temperature the coralife deep six hydrometer is calibrated to.i cant find out. some sites say that all swing arm styles are calibrated at 60 degrees. right now im running my tank at 79 degrees with a reading of 1.026 on my hydrometer (coralife deep six).

IMO, hydrometers are too inacurate period. You can get yourself a nice refractometer for under $50 and you will see exactly what your salinity reads.

I believe the swing arm hydrometers are calibrated closely to marine water temps, since that's what they are sold for/used for.

it's the floating bulb hydrometers that are usually calibrated at 65 degrees F, because these are made for lots of uses, including lab use, and home brewing (and for home brewers, 65F is real close to the temps they wanna maintain).

I agree that hydrometers are very inaccurate for most applications involving marine aquaria, but they are still the mainstay among most aquarium owners. The floating bulb type hydrometers have a wider range of tempature values that they will function under and I recommend them since they are more precise than the swing arm style hyrdometers. For your coral life unit I would say anywhere between 65 degrees F and 80 degrees F should give a some-what accurate reading.

Drat, and I did mean to mention too - look into a refractometer...especially with Christmas just 27 days away.

In particular, there's a 'Premium Blue' refractometer out there for about $45 that auto-calibrates to temperature, has a hard case, and a calibration screw so you can zero it out on RO/DI water prior to testing to get the best reading possible. The only thing it doesn't have is a built in light, but that's never caused me any problems.

Back
Top Bottom