Hyposalinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popothemailman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im going to have a 10gal qt tank for my puffer due to ich, and am going to try hyposalinity at 1.009. i was planning on adding water from the main tank to the qt and adding some fresh water to lower the saltinaty over a 24 hours(slowly lowering it), my question is how often should i do water changes and should do it with new water? i don't want my qt tank to cycle. the qt tank will just consist of a heater, thermometer and a shell.

thanks

with the QT you need to stay on top of testing the water parameters and do water changes as needed to keep levels down. Daily water changes may be required.

Lower the salinity over two days, not one. Also be sure to monitor pH/alk during the entire process but especially in the first week monitor pH twice daily. Water from the main tank should only be used for the initial fill of the QT. Never use it afterwards for water changes or anything else. Only use newly prepared SW that has been aged and aerated for 24 hrs prior to use.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/hyposalinity.html

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom