HYPOSALINITY for ICH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iroc89usa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i had a few questions about hyposalinity and the procedure.....i think i have a few fish that may be infected by the ich....esp. my hippo tang which i had already QT 'd for 3 weeks with copper treatment...he seems to be possibley infected again ...he sure likes to flick himself against the rocks alot...and the white appears more on the top and bottom of its fins...i do see him hangin around the blood shrimp alot tryin to get " cleaned" ...anyways....the questions i had were how fast do you drop the salinity in the tank....ive read you should bring the salinty back up gradually ....over days....and you should keep the salinty down for about four weeks to be sure the " ich " is all gone.... i am assuming the fish wont be harmed with that level of salinty as well....ive read it should be 1.010.....and as far as getting the salinty down....im assuming doin a water change and adding my r/ o water with no salt until i test at the right levels....my tank is a 125 gallon with 55 gal sump....only inverts i have is aneneme....blood shrimp ...and sea urchin....pretty sure the urchin cant handle the change so i was gonna take him out....the amount of fish i have would be almost impossible to try to catch without dismantling the whole tank i wanna add there is a lil over 100 lbs of live rock and an inch worth of live sand in the tank

....only inverts i have is aneneme....blood shrimp ...and sea urchin....pretty sure the urchin cant handle the change so i was gonna take him out....

Those links melosu gave you are the best out there. That "ATJ's..." link for the directions is the best writeup I've ever found out there.

Just a heads up though that not only will the urchin not make it through hypo, nothing else will except for your fish.

Back
Top Bottom