Hypothetical Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I have a PURELY HYPOTHETICAL question.

Suppose I have recently purchased a brand-new, beautiful, black-rimmed 55 gallon aquarium set, that only came with a black stand, black-rimmed aquarium, and a saltwater hood and light set.
What equipment is needed?
What are good starter fish?
How to clean the tank?
Etc.:thanks:

mfdrookie516 said:
Hypothetically, what would you want to do with this hypothetical tank? Hypothetically speaking of course.

Lol! I think he's trying to say that this tank if hypothetically hypothetical..;)

Gboy66 said:
Lol! I think he's trying to say that this tank if hypothetically hypothetical..;)

LOL good starter fish would a pair of clowns. As far as equipment goes you need some sort of filtration, heater, substrate, and some live rock. And that's about it. Hypothetically speaking of course

I say this because one day I will purchase a 55 gallon aquarium, and I wondered if I will need the protein skimmer and all that special stuff...

It wouldn't ever hurt to have one. I have one on my 29 gal reef just to make sure the water is pristine for my corals. Depending which direction you want to go with the tank. You also don't need a sump if you don't want one. It isn't a necessity with that size tank but is always nice to have for many reasons. I.e. filtration, ease of water changes , you can also put your Skimmer and heater down there to give your tank a nice clean look. It all depends on how much you want to spend

A good protein skimmer will cost between $100 and 200 for a tank that size. Sumps can be retardedly expensive, though you an DIY for much less. Lights are very expensive for corals, but it's an investment you'll be glad you made.
There is no way to give an accurate idea of how much it will cost, especially if you are good at watching craigslist.
Figure on several hundred dollars just for equipment.

Yep, thank heaven for Craigslist! I am currently viewing a 65 gallon saltwater aquarium with sump/refugium, overflow, special lighting system, protein skimmer, and a whole lot more for $325.00, and I think that would be cool if I had a lot of fish keeping experience. Because I gather that you will need a lot of fish experience before you even THINK about purchasing a saltwater aquarium, am I not correct?

phoenixkiller said:
Yep, thank heaven for Craigslist! I am currently viewing a 65 gallon saltwater aquarium with sump/refugium, overflow, special lighting system, protein skimmer, and a whole lot more for $325.00, and I think that would be cool if I had a lot of fish keeping experience. Because I gather that you will need a lot of fish experience before you even THINK about purchasing a saltwater aquarium, am I not correct?

Saltwater really isn't as hard as some may think..its just all about patience and research

Mrc8858 said:
Saltwater really isn't as hard as some may think..its just all about patience and research

+10 do your research! Pick your fish before you go to the store don't just go pick one out and hope it works. If I could give you one word of advice it would be to be patient. Don't rush anything. Take it slow. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I hope you know that I am not like the other people here. I am 13 with a lightly stocked 10 gallon tank. I would totally get a saltwater aquarium, but I am so... scared. I can hardly keep up the water changes and water chemical levels in there! But, with a little dedication, I will do better. Wouldn't you think I am underqualified for SW? I am thinking you will recommend FW for a while...

P.S. I am notorious for researching EVERYTHING before I purchase it.

phoenixkiller said:
I hope you know that I am not like the other people here. I am 13 with a lightly stocked 10 gallon tank. I would totally get a saltwater aquarium, but I am so... scared. I can hardly keep up the water changes and water chemical levels in there! But, with a little dedication, I will do better. Wouldn't you think I am underqualified for SW? I am thinking you will recommend FW for a while...

P.S. I am notorious for researching EVERYTHING before I purchase it.

Im 15 and just got into the hobby less than a year ago. I have one FW tank, and one SW tank. Honestly, its different, but just as easy. If you do research you'll be fine.

phoenixkiller said:
Hmmm... What would you recommend? FW or SW?

I have both, and love them both.

However, most people eventually goes sw it seems...so i say just go for it. :D

Go salty might as well... its not any harder than freshwater just different. You just have to make time for upkeep other than that just pay attention to what your tank is telling you.

Back
Top Bottom