Hypothetical Set-Up with some Q's...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grd1984

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, so I would like a large aquarium, and I decided that I would really like a cubic aquarium. I decided that a 3 foot cube would be perfect(203 gallons), and no money isn't an issue. So here are my questions:

Is there an advantage to having a rectangular aquarium over a square?
How much lighting would I need with this depth?
Is it possible to be able to view all 4 sides without any unsightly piping or anything?
I need filtration suggestions as well, what would be an optimal set-up?

Thanks a lot - Greg

Is there an advantage to having a rectangular aquarium over a square?
The biggest advantage to rectangular tanks is lighting. But maintenance is also often a factor. Kind of difficult to reach 3' into the bottom of the tank to work on it.

How much lighting would I need with this depth?
For 3' of water you'll need a considerable amount, especialy if you plan on having any corals, clams, anenomes, etc. Quite likely a number of 400w MH.

Is it possible to be able to view all 4 sides without any unsightly piping or anything?
Yes. You'll have to put plumbing up through the bottom of the tank to provide for the various inflow and outflows. This plumbing can then be hidden by live rock etc.

I need filtration suggestions as well, what would be an optimal set-up?
Optimal would be a decent sized Sump and refugium located elsewhere, either below on a floor lower or in a room next to the aquarium. The majority of filtration would be done by the LR and the fuge.

The first thing that comes to my mind is that you really should consider if the area that you want to place the tank can support it. If you want to be able to view it from all four sides I'm assuming that you want to place it in the middle of a room. I'd suggest you talk with a structural engineer if you are planning on placing it on anything other than a poured concrete basement floor. Otherwise you will probably need to do some extensive structural bracing and remodeling to the room(s) below.

Surface area!

Carrying capacity is based on surface area, not water volume. A cube has less surface area than a flatter tank of the same volume. As you're planning, find a standard tank (not a HIGH type) that has the same general dimensions and pretend that's what you have when you figure how much livestock you can support.

Back
Top Bottom