I added my live rock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I went and found some great LR yesterday for my new 46 bow.
It's only 22 lbs, but I think it's plenty for my tank. The rock is very porus so it's weighs less than what it looks like. Haven't tested to check the cycle yet. I'll do that tonight. Here's a pic of the rockscaping.
img_751970_0_f77f5361a9e892142b95d01c01032a34.jpg
[/img]

Nice work and looks like you kept it off the back wall, even better :) Make sure those rocks up top are secure! :D

I sure did keep it off the back wall...from my nano experience I'm really paranoid about flow and dead spots. I still need to get a couple more powerheads. The rocks on top look wobbly but they are actually fitting into the rocks below them pretty well. I'll see how this set up works but I'll probably switch things up a little while the tank is cycling. I tested and the ammonia is at 1.5 and nitrates and nitrites are still at zero - so the cycle has just started.

What kind of LR is that?? It's beautiful!! My LFS just got in a huge shipment yesterday and I picked up some nice pieces. He had some stuff that looks like the ones you have at the middle/bottom. I can't remember if it was Solomon or Marshall. It was gorgeous, but had a gorgeous pricetag too. I went with the $5 a lb. I think I got a good deal considering what I paid. Check out the pics in my gallery. :)

Usually you try to have 1.5 - 2 lbs per gallon but that rule is kind of general since all LR does not weigh the same. Even though the weight might not be right your size is pretty good. I think it looks downright good. I keep my LR on the backglass so the fish have to be out front and be seen when they swim. LOL

I would look at getting rid of those air pockets, in the sand, if I am seeing it right. Tank is coming along nicely!

Looks great! Nice job on the aquascaping. A few more pounds of LR down the road will be beneficial.

You know, I asked what kind of rock I got today when I went back to the store and I can't remember what she told me. It was something I'd never heard of.

I actually changed the rockscaping b/c I wanted something more natural looking - inspired by a trip to Cozumel, I guess. I want it to look like the reefs we saw there. You cant see it from the pic but there are caves and such but you can only see them from the side views. I really liked how it looked before, but I'm hoping this will work better for me in the long run.
img_758359_0_b368f46a040e71882ff55e813f2d5cb2.jpg

BTW, Those arent air pockets, I added live sand to my crushed coral and it just hadnt settled in yet. I know people hate crushed coral, but I dont like to dose calcium and it always kept my last tank's calcium really high w/o dosing.

JessicaK said:
I know people hate crushed coral, but I dont like to dose calcium and it always kept my last tank's calcium really high w/o dosing.

PWC`s will do the same thing. My calcium stays between 400-420 with weekly PWC`s with oceanic salt. Not trying to promote salt but just saying CC or dosing is not the only way.

You're definitely right about the PWC. I had cc in my nano and never had any probs w/ nitrates. Good thing I like vacuuming the substrate :)

Back
Top Bottom