I am back and I have a question about rinsing sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so my question is this: How do I rinse new CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand w/o access to a water hose?
Back story:
With my 45g tank(that broke in the move) I used Fiji Pink live sand that came wet and I did not rinse it.
I bought CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized sand not realizing that it was dry sand(I just liked the price and it seemed like a good deal which was about $1 a lb with shipping on Amazon. Anyway,I don't have a water source outdoors just indoors.I have buckets but I am worried about getting sand in the plumbing.What would you recommend I use?I watched a Youtube video that used 5 gal buckets w/ batting inside the bucket and duct tape taped to the outside of the bucket. He filled the bucket with a Python hose? I would just use distilled water to rinse it but unsure how I would stir up the stuff I don't want in my tank and put it in my 40g breeder. Any advice would be appreciated. :fish1:

Did you solve your problem? I would use the shower /tub. 5G bucket Plug tub to keep sand from going down the drain.

Stir well wait a few seconds dump out of the 5g bucket the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the water, and keep that up until water is clear.

Then let all the sand /water settle pour out as much water as possible, then rinse with the distilled water a few times to hopefully get out any residue from the tap water.

Other option drop it directly into the tank and run the filter with a superfine sleeve/pad for a couple days then remove.

Welcome back!

Here is a little secret to cleaning sand.
STEP 1- Fill gallon jug with sand
STEP 2- Set the jug into your aquarium (filled like halfway with water)
STEP 3- Let the jug fill with water (you will see bubbles coming out. When they stop you're good)
STEP 4- Turn the jug upside down and pour out water
STEP 5- When the sand is all out, WITHOUT letting any of the water in the jug escape, take the jug out of the tank
STEP 6- Discard the water and floaty sand
REPEAT UNTIL DONE!

This will clean your sand better then any bucket method. All the sand that would normally float, get's stuck inside of the jug.

Good luck!
Andrew

Back
Top Bottom