Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
I am back and I have a question about rinsing sand

Ok, so my question is this: How do I rinse new CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized Sand w/o access to a water hose?
Back story:
With my 45g tank(that broke in the move) I used Fiji Pink live sand that came wet and I did not rinse it.
I bought CaribSea Aragamax Sugar-Sized sand not realizing that it was dry sand(I just liked the price and it seemed like a good deal which was about $1 a lb with shipping on Amazon. Anyway,I don't have a water source outdoors just indoors.I have buckets but I am worried about getting sand in the plumbing.What would you recommend I use?I watched a Youtube video that used 5 gal buckets w/ batting inside the bucket and duct tape taped to the outside of the bucket. He filled the bucket with a Python hose? I would just use distilled water to rinse it but unsure how I would stir up the stuff I don't want in my tank and put it in my 40g breeder. Any advice would be appreciated.

2.5 gallon home of Gillbert the Crowntail Betta
40g breeder awaiting fish
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
Did you solve your problem? I would use the shower /tub. 5G bucket Plug tub to keep sand from going down the drain.

Stir well wait a few seconds dump out of the 5g bucket the top 1/3 to 1/2 of the water, and keep that up until water is clear.

Then let all the sand /water settle pour out as much water as possible, then rinse with the distilled water a few times to hopefully get out any residue from the tap water.

Other option drop it directly into the tank and run the filter with a superfine sleeve/pad for a couple days then remove.

Welcome back!

New to FW fish? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article http://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW - 72G / 12G Edge/11.4G Mr Aqua Rimless
SW - Nano 6.6G Edge - Plus a FW 46G bowfront (QT)
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is a little secret to cleaning sand.
STEP 1- Fill gallon jug with sand
STEP 2- Set the jug into your aquarium (filled like halfway with water)
STEP 3- Let the jug fill with water (you will see bubbles coming out. When they stop you're good)
STEP 4- Turn the jug upside down and pour out water
STEP 5- When the sand is all out, WITHOUT letting any of the water in the jug escape, take the jug out of the tank
STEP 6- Discard the water and floaty sand

This will clean your sand better then any bucket method. All the sand that would normally float, get's stuck inside of the jug.

Good luck!
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote

question, sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com