I am considering making the 55 gallon tank a sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mscherer63

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I recently transferred my african cichlids from my 55 gal to my new 100 gallon set up. I considering making the 55 a salt water tank. My question to you is what do I need? Bare minimum to get started. All I have is fresh water equipment (tank, lights, heater and filter).

Last edited by a moderator:
So I recently transferred my african cichlids from my 55 gal to my new 100 gallon set up. I considering making the 55 a salt water tank. My question to you is what do I need? Bare minimum to get started. All I have is fresh water equipment (tank, lights, heater and filter).

What type of tank are you wanting to do, reef or fowlr?

With live rock right? If so you will need around 55-75 lbs of live rock and sand. You will want a protein skimmer as well. The heater and lights from your fw tank should be fine. You will need salt, instant ocean will work fine. Um you will need power heads to create current as well.

What about filtration? Are my hob's sufficient? Is a protein skimmer a must?

Depends on how much fish you plan to have but hob is pushing it. I would recommend a protein skimmer besides it will help a lot in the long run.

I was planning on starting out with one fish just to see if I can keep up with the maintenance I hear that is associated with sw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so another question..... I don't want to invest a fortune in sw right off the bat. Say I went with a smaller tank..... 10-20 gallon fish only. Is a skimmer still necessary or would regular pwcs be sufficient

Ok great! I'm just Trying to "test the water" if you will. So 20 gallon would require live rock, lights, and filters. Do you have to cycle a sw as you do a fw?

Yes you do and it takes longer that fresh usually. I would do as much research as you are now about it before buying anything.

mscherer,
In terms of being able to get away with a skimmer, it is possible to do with a lightly stocked tank as long as you keep up with weekly water changes. Though keep in mind, as stocking goes up it becomes a highly effective method of filtration. I run a skimmer on my 55 reef in my sump and has done a good job...though I am in the market for a new one as we speak for other issues.

Hey man sorry I asked about how to make a thread that was rude I just didn't know where to ask but now I realize that that was rude sorry. Also 55 gallon would probably be easier because it water mass is bigger than a 20 gallon so more room to make mistakes.

Ok so another question..... I don't want to invest a fortune in sw right off the bat. Say I went with a smaller tank..... 10-20 gallon fish only. Is a skimmer still necessary or would regular pwcs be sufficient

IMO you won't necessarily NEED a skimmer in a tank this size. I ran a 30 long without a skimmer for a while but I did always have a nasty film on the water surface and it was near impossible to keep the sandbed clean. But with weekly water changes it can be done without a skimmer although the benefits of having one far outweighs not having one.

Back
Top Bottom