Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool I am new at Marine Fish and I have Questions

Hello I am new to this site and to Marine fish.

My name is Heidi. My husband (Robin) has bought me a tank and Marine set up equipment and i've only just got to the stage of adding the Live Rock. It had Polyps growing on it and a load of little snails have hatched and it also have little silver bugs running around which i think are called worms, is that correct??? Now i'm just waiting for it all to settle down and the rock has started to turn a little while in parts, I hope thats ok??? I am not sure what fish i shall put in when its all ready, but I don't think i'm having corels, just a Fish Only tank. I'm not too keen on clown or yellow tangs, but would like pacific shrimps and a couple of mini hermits to start off with if i can have both??? I would like little fish of different colours that go with Shrimps/Hermits, is there any you could suggest????

Any advice would be welcome as i'm totall new at all this.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

First thing I would get a SW (Salt Water) master test kit so you can check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.
I understand you have a tank with "equipment" but that really doesn't say much. Do you think you could give us a run down of tank size, if you have a sump/skimmer/powerheads. What is your setup what substrate do you have. Maybe a photo?
There are lots of options for you. It sounds like your rock will start the cycling for you. I would suggest that you post some pictures of the snails and worms for identification but since you don't plan on going reef it's not a big deal. Don't be surprised if all the life on your LR's die.
Depending on the size of your tank there are plenty of fish that can go with shrimp and hermits.
The first two (Mandarins) are my favorites but require an established tank and are harder to care for the last one (firefish) can go in almost any tank... as long as you are not worried about the firefish getting eaten, also they tend to jump so you want to make sure you have some kind of screen or lid.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moving this to the SW getting started forum. You`ll get more answers there being this is the welcome wagon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hello, Thank you for replying. I have a kit and tested for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite and everything is ok. The snails seemed to of vanished or hiding. The little bugs are still on the rocks, then are silver with legs, but are too small and fast for a photo, the tank is not very big it is 160 litre. I have pump, filter, skimmer etc... salt has been tested and its all ok. Polyps are growing.. but today i discovered a brown slug. I will try and add a photo. I'm worried this slug will eat any goodness thats been produce in the tank.

Not sure if this helps, a link to the slug picture, i am not sure how to put photos on here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This is a link to what pictures i have of the tank and the slug so far:

Picasa Web Albums - Heidi Linthwaite - Our Fish Tank

I hope this helps
Old 01-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Link to my photos.

Picasa Web Albums - Heidi Linthwaite - Our Fish Tank

Should i remove the slug which appeared from the live rock, is it a bad thing?
Old 01-27-2011, 02:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Start by giving us tank specs.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, lets start by saying "Welcome to AA".
Old 01-27-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "slug" looks kinda like this...

If you poke the "slug" gently does it recede back into a shell?
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

looks to me like a stomatella snail, google it and see if thats your culprit, if so he's a good part of a CUC and will reproduce well in your tank, and look up amphipods or copepods for the bugs, they are good as well.

and look here for other hitchikers you may find
Xtalreef

Tags
marine, marine fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com