I am new at Marine Fish and I have Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeidiRobin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new to this site and to Marine fish.

My name is Heidi. My husband (Robin) has bought me a tank and Marine set up equipment and i've only just got to the stage of adding the Live Rock. It had Polyps growing on it and a load of little snails have hatched and it also have little silver bugs running around which i think are called worms, is that correct??? Now i'm just waiting for it all to settle down and the rock has started to turn a little while in parts, I hope thats ok??? I am not sure what fish i shall put in when its all ready, but I don't think i'm having corels, just a Fish Only tank. I'm not too keen on clown or yellow tangs, but would like pacific shrimps and a couple of mini hermits to start off with if i can have both??? I would like little fish of different colours that go with Shrimps/Hermits, is there any you could suggest????

Any advice would be welcome as i'm totall new at all this. :confused:

First thing I would get a SW (Salt Water) master test kit so you can check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.
I understand you have a tank with "equipment" but that really doesn't say much. Do you think you could give us a run down of tank size, if you have a sump/skimmer/powerheads. What is your setup what substrate do you have. Maybe a photo?
There are lots of options for you. It sounds like your rock will start the cycling for you. I would suggest that you post some pictures of the snails and worms for identification but since you don't plan on going reef it's not a big deal. Don't be surprised if all the life on your LR's die.
Depending on the size of your tank there are plenty of fish that can go with shrimp and hermits.
The first two (Mandarins) are my favorites but require an established tank and are harder to care for the last one (firefish) can go in almost any tank... as long as you are not worried about the firefish getting eaten, also they tend to jump so you want to make sure you have some kind of screen or lid.
thumbnail.asp
thumbnail.asp
orangefirefish.jpg

Moving this to the SW getting started forum. You`ll get more answers there being this is the welcome wagon.

Hello, Thank you for replying. I have a kit and tested for pH, Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrite and everything is ok. The snails seemed to of vanished or hiding. The little bugs are still on the rocks, then are silver with legs, but are too small and fast for a photo, the tank is not very big it is 160 litre. I have pump, filter, skimmer etc... salt has been tested and its all ok. Polyps are growing.. but today i discovered a brown slug. I will try and add a photo. I'm worried this slug will eat any goodness thats been produce in the tank.

Not sure if this helps, a link to the slug picture, i am not sure how to put photos on here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/01vPm8wHdQgP_TGL6dzF1SIg1HlgJl2VLLw8FkAuwjY?feat=directlink

Last edited:
looks to me like a stomatella snail, google it and see if thats your culprit, if so he's a good part of a CUC and will reproduce well in your tank, and look up amphipods or copepods for the bugs, they are good as well.

and look here for other hitchikers you may find
Xtalreef

Thank you very much for the help, i was so worried it would mess up the tank i couldn't sleep last night. I know it sounds daft, but i really want to get things right and all this is new for me.

That Live Rock Hitch Hikers website is good. Earlier tonight I discovered what I think is a Pineapple Sponge hiding next to a couple of Polys. I have also discovered a black and white thing growing on a rock, which sort of looks a bit like a clam because it looks like it opens, it doesn't seem to move. I have no idea what it is and its too small to get a photo of it yet. But i will try and get one and see what you think.

Link to photo of the best i can do:

Picasa Web Albums - Heidi Linthwaite

Back
Top Bottom