Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #101
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just tested the SW mix - 480 ppm Ca - so same as the tank.

I am making a new batch of SW now... will do another water change this evening I guess.

I agree that with the dying coral, I shouldn't be seeing a huge drop in KH, so maybe the last batch of salt mix was just low on KH? This new batch I am making will be the first complete batch with the new salt mix. I will test the KH again when it is done mixing. If it is even higher than 11, maybe that has been my issue?

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #102
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

hate chiming in late have you checked your heater ,
I had a issue like this drove me nuts till I found my cracked heater solved all my problems
just a thought

Old 09-15-2012, 02:12 PM   #103
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Both heaters are fine. Tank stays at 79F, confirmed by 3 independent constant measurements. Also checked stray voltage yesterday and found none.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool. Glad you at least found something you can look into.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe your water is "too clean" for the corals other than the SPS. I've heard of people having problems with corals from the Euphyllia family before due to this. I'm stumped. Hope the new salt mix is the key!
Old 09-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #106
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

SM and I were discussing that possibility. I turned my skimmer down a bit earlier in the week. Still no PO4 or nitrates in the water but I have also done a bunch of water changes. I think I remember reading somewhere that 0 PO4 is actually not good.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've always kept just a little bit floating around in there for my LPS, Zoas and Leathers. Who knows, it could be that, but I agree with what you said earlier, you can't change everything at once, a slow and deliberate approach is the best way to finding a solution. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Freak

I read through a lot of this, but maybe I missed the part where you described how the corals were dying. Are they bleaching? All slimy? Or are they retracted until death?
IME, I just purchased a new t5 tek fixture to upgrade from my CF and 1 t5 ho that I had, and light was causing a huge problem. I went from very low, with super old bulbs, to 4 (out of 6) brand new bulbs. Even with reduced photo period I still managed to bleach my birdsnest and chalices, gorgornians, ect...
Frog Spawn was fine though...
This is a good read: Feature Article: Effects Of Narrow Bandwidth Light Sources On Coral Host And Zooxanthellae Pigments — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog
About the effects of narrow-band wavelength light (specifically related to LEDs) on corals, and photosynthesis.

My best guess to the root of your problem is still the light, I've read people with new Raidons sometimes start at 20% efficiency in their ramp up cycle.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #109
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The coral seems to fade away over time. It is very slight. I haven't seen much of any bleaching... the coral continues to open, but it just gets smaller and smaller, and eventually it is gone, except for skeleton.

I ran the lights for months at 20%, and still had this issue. That is why I have started creeping them up a few percent a week over the past several weeks. I contacted aqua illuminations and they said 20% sounded very low over my size tank based on their tests and testimonials from other users. I have also seen several folks online who run these things at 70-90% over their tanks. But, I have also seen people say they murdered all their coral when they switched to them and ran them too high too quickly. I am still not convinced that lighting is not the culprit here as it seems to be the most basic and fundamental thing. But I have no idea if it is too much or not enough.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
The coral seems to fade away over time. It is very slight. I haven't seen much of any bleaching... the coral continues to open, but it just gets smaller and smaller, and eventually it is gone, except for skeleton.

I ran the lights for months at 20%, and still had this issue. That is why I have started creeping them up a few percent a week over the past several weeks. I contacted aqua illuminations and they said 20% sounded very low over my size tank based on their tests and testimonials from other users. I have also seen several folks online who run these things at 70-90% over their tanks. But, I have also seen people say they murdered all their coral when they switched to them and ran them too high too quickly. I am still not convinced that lighting is not the culprit here as it seems to be the most basic and fundamental thing. But I have no idea if it is too much or not enough.
Iko if it was lights coral wouldn decline slow they would die rather quickly have you tested for any metals?

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com