Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
I can try that. I wouldn't say anything is stretching. All I see is very gradual decline of all the coral in the tank except for the few specimens I mentioned.
Ok, I'd try and see what happens. It very possible there. It getting enough light. Keep us posted.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #32
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My coral is still declining this week after bumping the blue up another 5%.

Anyone else have any ideas? It's going to end up being a FOWLR tank with a $1000 lighting system on it soon.

fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
My coral is still declining this week after bumping the blue up another 5%.

Anyone else have any ideas? It's going to end up being a FOWLR tank with a $1000 lighting system on it soon.
You dont have any copper or brass fittings do you? all pvc? Are any coral stayin healthy or is every coral in the tank doing this?
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I feel bad about this :/ and he said his frogspawn is still doing well
Old 09-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
I feel bad about this :/ and he said his frogspawn is still doing well
I know it can be depressing especially after puttin in time and money
Old 09-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Before I say this, I don't have corals yet however I'm starting a reef tank and I've been trying to do research as much as possible. I came across something that sounds familiar to what you have and I seriously doubt that this is the issue but thought I would throw it out there.

Have you checked your Iodine levels? When I was reading up on supplements etc. someone had posted that they had been dosing with a product ( can't remember which one but I can search for it!) and their corals were dying. Their water and lighting were fine. The cause was too much iodine for them (y'all can tell me what the heck the iodine is for later! LOL!). Anyway, maybe you have too much of something or not enough? I'm just starting to read up on testing for things so this is a little out of my league.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Hmmm this is interesting. I had dosed lugols solution several weeks in a row, but I haven't for months, and have done probably 8 water changes of 10-15% since the last time I dosed it. I wonder though if this could be part of the problem...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Hmmm this is interesting. I had dosed lugols solution several weeks in a row, but I haven't for months, and have done probably 8 water changes of 10-15% since the last time I dosed it. I wonder though if this could be part of the problem...
I don't know. I've just been reading up on issues so I know what to look for if something goes wrong at the time of your post. I read that supplements are good but to make sure and test. As I said, I'm just now learning so I'm absolutely not someone to necessarily take any coral advice from. Other people had stated that different corals that were dying would release some slime stuff and it was thought to have killed additional corals as they didn't want to remove it hoping it would pull through. Someone else mentioned grounding their reef tank as they were losing coral due to small electrical currents. Lots of people do that for FOWLR as well.

It makes me a little nervous because I don't want to lose everything. I know you are frustrated. I'm sorry but I'm hoping you figure out what it is so I can possibly learn.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #39
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't think it is electrical as there is nothing electric in the DT. I have MP10s so they work via magnets and all electrical is in the sump.

The iodine connection seems like a real possibility though. I suppose I should do a few large water changes and see if anything happens. The bad news is a lot of it might be too far gone to make much of a difference at this point.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about the troubles Justin, wish I could have helped out.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com