Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would get the ro/di unit for your house put under sink get the drinking water attachment above and also hook it to your refrigerator for the ice and water there, makes a huge difference, as good if not better than bottled water. Then buy a few 5 gallon water bottles the type you see on office water coolers. you can get these empty at walmart cheap, and just bring the water from the house when needed.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Thanks for all the input. I figured out the water thing, we have a local water place that sells RO/DI water for $ .50/gal. So thats one problem solved. (LFS guy actually told me about them, after I mentioned buying his $25 for 4.4 gal water. Guess he's not that bad)

As for the salt, It's looking like Reef Crystals is getting the majority of the votes. Although, Oceanic may be the way to go...An oceanic system = oceanic salt?

Guy at LFS said 1lb of LR per gallon..so maybe I'll start with 30 lbs, and if it doesnt look too cluttered, I'll add some more. Of coarse now its a decision between what kind of LR (Java, Tongo, blah, blah, blah). LFS wants $8.99/lb for Java, and $14.99/lb for the other types. I have to admit, the LR they have looks good, lots of growth and organisms.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

I get SW for 69c a gallon
Old 08-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I paid 8.99 a lb for my two hundred pounds. I have Fiji, Tonga and Marshall island rock. You would get it cheaper online. You would need to cycle your tank and cure the LR at the same time in the tank.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
Yea.. I know .. DI and distilled 2 different things. I had a brain fart there .. Sorry bout that.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
OK..I got my substrate today. I'm going to mix CaribSea Aragonite (Reef Sand) and Coraline (Looks like smashed up shells). Sine the BioCube has no undergravel filter, LFS suggested 1 inch deep.

What should my pH and Specific Gravity be? I have a Refractometer so I can get pretty accurate.

I keep reading about this thing called the S-15 Report. Says IO and Reef Crystals are crap, and that the best salt is "Marine Environment dual phase" ...Is this report legit? I get the feeling its something that just makes a certain brand look good.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That report is probably owned by the person that owns that salt. If you ask what is the best salt you`ll get 100 different answers. IMO and only my opinion I like Oceanic. Keeps Calcium where it needs to be with only frequent PWC`s. But I am sure there are others that have better experiences.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

screw it...I'm just gonna go with reef crystals. If it's crap..I'll figure it out.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I just started a thread in the SW reef aquaria forum on what salt people use and why. Keep an eye out on that thread to help you make an informed discission.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
I started to use water from the super market, until I found out that some add minerals to improve the flavor after filtering.

The first time I filled my 180 I made a deal with a LFS. 150 GAL for $40.00 of course I picked up some salt (Oceanic) and other supplies too.

Tags
setup, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com