Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I have one question. I am starting a new SW setup. Why the RO/DI? Just for the initial filling and the addition due to evaporation? Or is it the water needs this purification all the time?

Old 07-30-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmarc
I have one question. I am starting a new SW setup. Why the RO/DI? Just for the initial filling and the addition due to evaporation? Or is it the water needs this purification all the time?
RO/DI units attach to your house water line. They are only for water that you add to you tank. You usually set one up under a sink or to a house water line and use it to mix salt water and top off evaped water.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I am setting up a tank in my office at work. I only have access to city water in the building (I cant hook up a RO/DI here). What sould I do for water? As far as I can tell my options are:

1. City Water
2. Buying 30 Gal of distilled water form the supermarket
3. Buying the water that is for sale at the LFS (something like $20 for 5 gallons) It's supposed to be the "Perfect Water" for marine aquariums.

I hear Instant Ocean salt is the best you can get, any feedback on this?

Also, I got one of those 29gal Biocubes. How much live rock should I put in this tank (ie. how many pounds)?

My list so far:

-Oceanic BioCube 29 gal Nano Reef Bio Cube Aquarium w/ Stand
-Sapphire Aquatics Protein Skimmer for Oceanic BioCube Model BC29
-Pacific Coast CL-150 Micro Chiller. 150 watt Thermo electronic water chiller/heater
-Portable Refractometer
-OceanMaster Test Kit (Kit includes tests for pH, Alkalinity, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate)
-Calcium Test Kit
Old 07-31-2007, 10:17 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I like to premix my water for at least 24-48 hours before I add it to my tank. This helps the salt mix to dissolve, the pH and temp to get the same as my tank. This would also solve your "city water" problem.
I used to use IO salt and switched to Reef Crystals, this is a subject that lots of folks will have different experiences and opinions on.
I'm not sure if you will need a chiller. I would regulate the temp during the cycle, since you won't have anything living in the tank.
I am going to split your thread to it's own topic.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't use city water as you are not sure what is in it. I agree with Roka. You'll hear many different opinions on salt. I too use Reef Crystals but there are many that swear by instant ocean. They'll probably chime in soon.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmarc
3. Buying the water that is for sale at the LFS (something like $20 for 5 gallons) It's supposed to be the "Perfect Water" for marine aquariums.

That`s outrageous. I can get SW already made up for a dollar a gallon. At that price I would get the distilled water and mix in the salt yourself. As far as the salt alot of people on here have had problems with IO. Seems like they have had more problems with nuisance algeas. I use Oceanic and like the results but as Scott said you would get many answers if you asked which is the best. A good suggestin on LR would be 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon. I hope all goes well

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58
That`s outrageous. I can get SW already made up for a dollar a gallon.
This is probably the super-de-duper salt water being talked about...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...&N=2004+113009

Even at drfosters, 4.4 gallons for $27. 8O I just about passed out when I saw it listed in their latest catalog. It better not only be "live", but have fish and corals in it too, at that price!
Old 08-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to madhatter208 Send a message via Yahoo to madhatter208
If your going to get DI water from your LGS make sure its Steamed Distilled water.
Some DI water is ran through copper pipes and could transfer on to the final product.

You could also purchase a RO/DI unit for your home and simply bring water from home to work. A 5 gal bucket or 2 should do just fine for PWC. A couple extra for the inital start up.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Just ask for a print out of your city water (tap) make-up. I've always used city water (tap) and never had any issues, but that's me. IO user here.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter208
If your going to get DI water from your LGS make sure its Steamed Distilled water.
Some DI water is ran through copper pipes and could transfer on to the final product.
Just so there's no confusion to the original poster, DI (deionized) water and distilled water are two totally different things. You either get one, or the other. And just because it's distilled, doesn't mean it isn't run through copper pipes.

Tags
setup, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com