I am wondering if there are any 48" VHO lighting fixtures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am wondering if there are any 48" VHO lighting fixtures? I'm not interested in a retrofit kit, I want a ready to run fixture like a Nova Extreme. All I can find online are the bulbs. They are T12 diameter correct? I've noticed that 48" T5 HO's run 54W, and 48" T12 VHO bulbs are 110W. I want to run two bulbs for 220W.

Thanks,

Jared

Last edited:
You probably wont find a new fixture that is ready to run with just VHOs. You might try craigslist or a reef club locally for something like that. Most fixtures you find today are going to be LED, MH, T5, PC or some combination of them.

You will get better light IMO with T5 vs VHO. Same wattage (roughly) and have a 4 bulb fixture that has more color mixing options.

I would also stay away from PC lighting. They bulb life is pretty short and the bulbs are expensive. It makes the upkeep cost high and it isn't really any better then T5

So right now is T5 the best? Any particular brand better than the others? So far I have looked at Wave Point and Current USA.

LED looks promising, but way out of my budget.

Jared

The T5 kit I had was made by TEK and the bulbs I used were Geissman. What ever you decide to do make sure that each T5 bulb has its own reflector.

Oh how I have waited for someone to ask a question about VHO`s. LOL. It`s all I have ever used. I love VHO`s and would not deviate from them. Saying that, the others are right about T5HO being better. But still I just want soft and LPS corals and VHO`s will fit the bill for that. As far as a lighting unit there is this

VHO Aquarium Lighting: Hamilton Magnetic SuperPower VHO Systems

I do mine retrofits. I run 4 - 160 watt bulbs on two ballast. The bulbs have internal reflectors. I also have a reflector dome over the bulbs to catch most of the stray lighting. Here are some pics of my lighting that I have had for 12+ yrs now.

100_1670.jpg

100_1657.jpg

100_0972.JPG

Back
Top Bottom