I bought 3 big pieces of live rock and this little guy was hiding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lane1223

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I bought 3 big pieces of live rock and this little guy was hiding. My levels (as far as I know yesterday morning) are off the charts. But he's been in for 6 hours and is going fine. Is this good?

What did you find there is no picture or description.

This is him. He is small.

Attachments

• image-1990166128.jpg
    image-1990166128.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 292
Looks like a hermit crab to me. I cycled with a hitchhiker hermit, he turned out fine.

1Vampiregirl said:
Looks like a hermit crab to me. I cycled with a hitchhiker hermit, he turned out fine.

Is there any reason that it's still alive? Can inverts live in those water conditions?

Lane1223 said:
Is there any reason that it's still alive? Can inverts live in those water conditions?

As far as I know, inverts are actually more sensitive to poor water conditions. Maybe common hermits are stronger. I don't know.

Mine hitched a ride on live rock, as well as some sponges and a couple of stars. All lived. Well, but for the sponges, I had to take the rocks out of the water for a few minutes while I was arranging them in the tank. I had a very fast cycle with all live rock and it was cured too, but with a shrimp I did have spikes: ammo 1-2 and nitrite around 2 also and my nitrate was at 40! All survived. :)

1Vampiregirl said:
As far as I know, inverts are actually more sensitive to poor water conditions. Maybe common hermits are stronger. I don't know.

Mine hitched a ride on live rock, as well as some sponges and a couple of stars. All lived. Well, but for the sponges, I had to take the rocks out of the water for a few minutes while I was arranging them in the tank. I had a very fast cycle with all live rock and it was cured too, but with a shrimp I did have spikes: ammo 1-2 and nitrite around 2 also and my nitrate was at 40! All survived. :)

Hmmm...interesting...well I mine should be done in the next few days or so. So he may be a fighter. Heres a better pic. :)

Attachments

• image-490247380.jpg
    image-490247380.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 183
I think this is awesome! Now I want to go out and get an aquarium to set up as salt water and just keep buying rocks for it to see what I get. I love grab bags!!! :) I think he is cute. Hope he makes it!

wrmiller said:
I think this is awesome! Now I want to go out and get an aquarium to set up as salt water and just keep buying rocks for it to see what I get. I love grab bags!!! :) I think he is cute. Hope he makes it!

Thanks so much! He is a cutie. You should deff get a sw! So much fun and so worth it!!!

He is a cutie! He was even looking in the camera as if posing for the picture! :D
How bad is the water now? I hope the little guy survives!

I recall that mine was kinda passive during the cycle, well even before that, I guess, when the readings were 0 across the board. But when I got snails for my CUC, he became like a little general there! Moving around, climbing rocks, moving snails if he thought they shouldn't be where they were... Yesterday he even climbed the glass!!!

I'm cycling right now with live rock and have several hermits. One is a bigger one that I just found today and he is in a shell about the size of a nickle. I also have a couple snails. I'm hoping they all make it too.

1Vampiregirl said:
He is a cutie! He was even looking in the camera as if posing for the picture! :D
How bad is the water now? I hope the little guy survives!

I recall that mine was kinda passive during the cycle, well even before that, I guess, when the readings were 0 across the board. But when I got snails for my CUC, he became like a little general there! Moving around, climbing rocks, moving snails if he thought they shouldn't be where they were... Yesterday he even climbed the glass!!!

Haha yeah.
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm
pH: 7.8
Do you think my tank is almost cycled? Wow thats an acrobatic hermit!!!! Haha :D

Lane1223 said:
Haha yeah.
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm
Nitrates: 40ppm
pH: 7.8
Do you think my tank is almost cycled? Wow thats an acrobatic hermit!!!! Haha :D

Seems that way, Lane. :)
Those numbers look almost like mine at the end of the cycle.

IME, snails and crabs are very hardy! I have nothing to back that up, it just seems it's hard for one to die. I've had some very bad parameters in my early fishkeeping, not intentionally, but i've never lost a snail or a crab, except one that died right after purchase.

scottayy said:
IME, snails and crabs are very hardy! I have nothing to back that up, it just seems it's hard for one to die. I've had some very bad parameters in my early fishkeeping, not intentionally, but i've never lost a snail or a crab, except one that died right after purchase.

My crab proves this point too. But Carey's seem to die for no apparent reason, she said.

1Vampiregirl said:
Seems that way, Lane. :)
Those numbers look almost like mine at the end of the cycle.

Thanks. I feel really secure when we have people like you. :)

I've got some hermits that came with previous setups adn they have flourished under some very bad water conditions and cycling.

Lately it just seems that my hermits keep dying. Not sure if they are killing each other or what. Even in the cube where there hasnt been any death.

Lane1223 said:
Thanks. I feel really secure when we have people like you. :)

Oh thanks! I'm a newbie too though, just learning from the gurus here on AA :)

carey said:
I've got some hermits that came with previous setups adn they have flourished under some very bad water conditions and cycling.

Lately it just seems that my hermits keep dying. Not sure if they are killing each other or what. Even in the cube where there hasnt been any death.

Sometimes there seems to be no explanation at all! I believe that things happen for a reason, but not all of them lol!

1Vampiregirl said:
Oh thanks! I'm a newbie too though, just learning from the gurus here on AA :)

Sometimes there seems to be no explanation at all! I believe that things happen for a reason, but not all of them lol!

Yeah. Carey, sorry about that. Hey Carey, have you ever lived in Texas?

Back
Top Bottom