I BOUGHT the tank!!!Need some recs on overlow placement!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrrrkva

Aquarium Advice Freak
For those of you following, I bougth the 1/4 cylinder corner tank. It will be 4 foot along each wall in the back.

They talked me into 1 overflow box with 2-1.5 drains and 2-1inch returns right in the corner. Would you guys go with 2 overflows boxes along each wall instead?

Also is 4 -250 MH watts going to cut it? It will be 30 inches deep and 235 gallons.

You could always go into Microsoft Paint and just make a quick sketch of it if ppl are really not sure what it looks like...

Re: I BOUGHT the tank!!!Need some recs on overlow placement!

mrrrkva said:
They talked me into 1 overflow box with 2-1.5 drains and 2-1inch returns right in the corner. Would you guys go with 2 overflows boxes along each wall instead?
Personally I would have gone for two seperate overflows. Better flow potential as well as a redundancey in case something goes awry.

What was their reasoning for just one other than appearance?

Cheers
Steve

they just kept insisting, but I just did it today, so I can change. It is an extra $135 but in the overall expense, it is Really nothing. I was just looking at appearance. I keep coming back to 2 and really should go back to that, if for no other reason that it will be tough putting 2 dursos in one overflow

Well if you are having the the tank built. Ok hold on. Are we talking built in overflows or overflow boxes. Here is what i would do if it were me since it is a big tank.

I would do two built in overflows or have the tank drilled. I would then have two or three or even four returns. One at each end of the tank and maybe two twards the middle. That will give you alot of flow. Of course you will have to have one heck of a pump. But it would be pretty awesome. That is what i would do if i had the money to get such an awesome tank.

I'd have to agree with Steve. I would go for two separate overflows and I would make sure either one of them, by itself, could keep up with the pump I installed. You could always have two drains in each overflow with one drain set higher than the other. That way you would only use it if one of the others stopped up for some reason. I know that sounds like overkill, but imagine all that water in the floor. Also, I'm thinking 30" may be pushing it for 250 watt lights...you might want to think about 400's depending on what you intend to keep in the tank. JMHO.

i would deffinatly go with 4 400w. MH for that tank. I have a 21 inch dep tank and i wish i would have gotten a 400 w. halide. But i may add a second 250w. Just scared of heat issues.

I think I am going with 2 overflows with 1- 1.5 inch drain in each one and 2- 1 inch returns in each overflow. I know this is a side note, but I dont think that 2 dursos will even fit in that one overflow. With the 4 - 400's do you think I am going to have heat issues?

These are built in and drilled holes in bottom of overflows. And even the original design has 2 - 1.5 drains and 2 1 inch returns.

These are built in and drilled holes in bottom of overflows. And even the original design has 2 - 1.5 drains and 2 1 inch returns.

mrrrkva said:
I think I am going with 2 overflows with 1- 1.5 inch drain in each one and 2- 1 inch returns in each overflow.

I think you'll be better off that way.

With the 4 - 400's do you think I am going to have heat issues?
It depends you how you set it up. Are you going to have a full canopy over the tank or will it be open and use pendants? If you have a canopy, I think you'll need to have several fans running to maintain plenty of airflow. If you use pendants, I don't think it'll be a problem.

They will be in a canopy, I will duct the air outside, but in the past I have had heat issues with 400's. The canopy is 12 inches of water though.

Back
Top Bottom