I can't get my sand to stay put lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dasjestyr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Theres an odd flow in my tank thats causing one corner of the tank to push sand inward, exposing the bottom of the tank. There is absolutely NO direct flow on this area. I have 1 PH on each side of the tank pointed at each other and upwards to break the surface. The bare spot is opposite of the stronger powerhead, about 4' away. The only thing I can think of is that the stronger PH is hitting the glass and reflecting inward. If i move the sand back over the bare spot, it's bare again in a day or two. I've tried redirecting it but then i just get a bare spot somewhere else. I tried place a rock against the wall to help diffuse the flow which helped a little bit...

I have a 48" long 75g tank with a 1350gph and 720gph maxis. The lfs suggested this as a minimum, but its starting to look like they're too strong. Do I just need more LR? I have about 60lbs so far. Any other suggestions?

I don't know much about SW but a flow rate of 27x per hour seems high to me for any tank. These are just power heads right? What does your filtration flow at?

dasjestyr said:
Theres an odd flow in my tank thats causing one corner of the tank to push sand inward, exposing the bottom of the tank. There is absolutely NO direct flow on this area. I have 1 PH on each side of the tank pointed at each other and upwards to break the surface. The bare spot is opposite of the stronger powerhead, about 4' away. The only thing I can think of is that the stronger PH is hitting the glass and reflecting inward. If i move the sand back over the bare spot, it's bare again in a day or two. I've tried redirecting it but then i just get a bare spot somewhere else. I tried place a rock against the wall to help diffuse the flow which helped a little bit...

I have a 48" long 75g tank with a 1350gph and 720gph maxis. The lfs suggested this as a minimum, but its starting to look like they're too strong. Do I just need more LR? I have about 60lbs so far. Any other suggestions?

You may have to much flow.Far as the live rock,if you want to have o nitrates in the future you need at least one and a half to preferably two lbs per gallon.I would add at least 60 more lbs of base rock which is cheaper and will become live quickly.

@termite Yeah, they're powerheads. Filtration is just bio and a skimmer rated for tanks up to 90g. I was told that the flow is minimal for when i begin to add corals is 10-25 times the tank capacity. Some go as high as 65x the capacity. I'm just looking for someone to either contradict that or some tips on placement or other tricks to make that sand stay put lol

@rick I plan on adding more rock. I usually buy one or two pieces every time i hit the lfs. The cheapest rock they have there is like $8/lb, its all live. So far, all my pieces are large, so i'm trying to be thoughtful of leaving enough swim room in the tank. But I am aiming for at least 1.5:1.

dasjestyr said:
@termite Yeah, they're powerheads. Filtration is just bio and a skimmer rated for tanks up to 90g. I was told that the flow is minimal for when i begin to add corals is 10-25 times the tank capacity. Some go as high as 65x the capacity. I'm just looking for someone to either contradict that or some tips on placement or other tricks to make that sand stay put lol

@rick I plan on adding more rock. I usually buy one or two pieces every time i hit the lfs. The cheapest rock they have there is like $8/lb, its all live. So far, all my pieces are large, so i'm trying to be thoughtful of leaving enough swim room in the tank. But I am aiming for at least 1.5:1.

Wholly Molly,eight dollars a lb.I would try ordering some base rock from the Internet.

I have 48x total tank volume circulation per hour (125 litre tank with 2 3000 litre per hour powerheads) i know its not the same as your situation though as i have a bare bottomed tank so it doesnt blow the sand about.

Had similar problem with a freshwater tank with sand. Pointed filter out take into the corner to break up the flow. Do not know if this would work with a more powerful power head. Just a thought.

Depending on stock it won't matter anyway..I find the inhabitants like to re-arrange their "room" on a regular basis...:)

Back
Top Bottom