I could use some advice please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a 29 gal aquarium that I want to convert to a marine system. I was wondering how much live rock I should buy? Would it be smarter to get just a little live rock with some base rock? Would the live rock seed the base rock? If so, would it be worth it? Is 29 gal to small? I'm confused. Someone please help me out lol! I was thinking I should just upgrade to a 50 gal? I've already ordered some of that New Castle/Southdown sand, and I think I'm gonna buy some of that live sand that is actually still IN sea water? What other questions do I need to ask? I've been into freshwater for many yrs, never salt.

Thanks guys,

Matt

I was wondering how much live rock I should buy? Would it be smarter to get just a little live rock with some base rock?
usually a FOWLR or Reef will have 1.5-2 pounds of LR per gallon. Using base rock and LR will save you cash and there is nothing wrong with using a combination of the two.

Would the live rock seed the base rock?
Yep

If so, would it be worth it?
Yep.

Is 29 gal to small?
Matter of opinion. Most will tell you, for your first leap into SW, the bigger the better. Larger tanks have more stable water parameters and are a little more forgiving to new SW keepers who are stilling learning good SW habits.

I've already ordered some of that New Castle/Southdown sand, and I think I'm gonna buy some of that live sand that is actually still IN sea water?
Southdown is great stuff can't go wrong there. Don't waste your time buying the "live sand" that it's a bag on a shelf. Go to a LFS and ask to buy some LS from one of their tanks (they probably have a tank full of LS just for this) the stuff in the bag may have some bacteria (debatable) but it definitely doesn't have any flora or fauna and thats the most important part of a DSB.

What other questions do I need to ask? I've been into freshwater for many yrs, never salt.
Every question you can think of!! I was a freshie for a long time (still have a 20 gal) its not a huge leap, just different things to look for and keep under control. Read our articles in the articles section and search our forums for any questions you have, most have already been answered and any that haven't... post away!! We're here to help :D

Billy, thanks so much for the help! I appreciate every bit of it. I did although forget to ask some questions....sorry. What IS base rock, and where can I get it? Do I have to buy it from a LFS or can I get it from somewhere else cheaper? Everything is so expensive there. I also have a VHO ballast with a Super Blue Actinic and a VHO 10000K bulb on the way. Is this enough to provide some soft corals with good light and nutrients? Also what are some good fish to start out with? I'd really like to get a clownfish, but I don't know if those are a good starter.

Thanks again guys,

-Matt

Captive-bred clownfish (true percs or ocellaris) are considered good "starter" fish--pretty hardy and not too aggressive to put in the tank first. I've got two, my first SW fish, sitting in QT now. Keep in mind that with a 29 gallon you'll be very limited in the number of fish you can have, so you might want to start making a wish list and narrow down your selections now so you can buy wisely. Have fun!! Research is really a blast.

You can get baserock at your lfs. I wouldn't trust rock from anywhere else. The base rock is a whole lot cheaper tan live rock. I put about half and half in my tank and in only three months I have traces of coraline algae on my base rock. As far as lighting do some research on the types of corals you want and you can find out there lighting requirements. I know from experience you don't want to have too little light.

You can also get base rock from hirocks.com. I have ordered twice from them and they have some very nice rock. Didn't take my base rock very long to start showing signs of life. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom