i do not think i can let her go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrmc4

Aquarium Advice Addict
do you think there is anyway i could move the marron clown in with a pair of other clowns or find another marron that she will accept.i have had her for so long hate to have her go to the fish store just so i can have a pair in the 75.

I didn't think clowns were that agressive?

You could try introducing her to the tank and see how it goes...

thanks guys i have decided that if it does not work i need to find a good caring home for her she is a terrific fish and the only aggressive behavior i have ever seen is her protecting her little cave she adopted...so if it does not work know anyone that lives near waukesha wi that would take good care of her?

so if it does not work know anyone that lives near waukesha wi that would take good care of her?

Check out the regional forums and see if there is one near you, or within reason. You might also consider starting your own regional forum, if you'd like to do that, shoot me or Aaron a PM and we'll set it up for you ;)

One thing, mixing maroons with other clowns is almost always a bad choice. Maroons are one of the most aggressive clowns, only doing weel with themselves, yellowstripe maroons, and sometimes cinnamon or clarkes.

Clowns will also bump their agressiveness if there is an anenome in the tank. My maroon would hide from my hand if I had it in the tank. now that I have a host for it in a Bubble Tip the clown will attack my hand if its in the tank.

It will litrally come up and bite my hand. My clown is not large so it does not hurt butI have heard people tell of their maroons acutally drawing blood.

crapola not looking good to keep her she is so beautiful how do i find the regional forum rr i want someone to care for her that appreciates her and is not "it is just a fish" attitude type.

I don't keep a Saltwater awuarium, but I just wanted to say good luck!

thanks daisy most people do not understand how i can be so attached "for crying out loud it's just a fish" is what i get glad there are those that do understand. :)

There are always people that understand, that is one thing I have found. Regardless of the issue

Am I missing vital information not included in this thread? If you have the maroon, and love it so much, why not just keep it and opt against having a pair? What is so vital about a pair? And if so, why not get a small maroon and have it that way?

alrmc4 said:
most people do not understand how i can be so attached "for crying out loud it's just a fish" is what i get glad there are those that do understand
one of my first purchases for my tank was a long spined urchin. I didn't know then that he isn't really reef friendly (not that he's harmful, just not friendly heh) I've had him for almost a year now and I just can't bring myself to return him to the LFS even though he keeps munching on my only coral! I got my second dose of venum from him the other day actually. I was pulling him off the rock with the coral and he decided he wanted to stay there. Them spines burn like a @#$#%. pardon my punctuation :wink: . So even though he's bad for the reef and painful... I just can't seperate myself from him; I'm too attached.
I also had a pleco (FW algae scruber kinda fishy) who I had longer than I'd known my wife at the time... he was about 13" long. I was quite upset to find him upside down in my tank. I'd had him about 7 or 8 years IIRC...
fish may not be as outwardly interactive as dogs or cats, but they're your pets non the less. Don't feel bad or weird for being attached to them. You enjoy them and they are part of who you are. I think many of us here know exactly what you're feeling.

HoopsGuru said:
Am I missing vital information not included in this thread? If you have the maroon, and love it so much, why not just keep it and opt against having a pair? What is so vital about a pair? And if so, why not get a small maroon and have it that way?

That is what I asked a few posts ago....I would think the older fish you are attached to would have the priority. *shrug*

i have 3 clowns in my tank and they are maroon and whites, they are the most aggresive clowns i have seen, and i have heard that yellow stripes are worse yet. Some times they will be friendly and other times they will chase each other till their exhausted. I have thought about giving one up for adoption so hoping that the other 2 will get along. I live in minnesota if that helps any. But i dont recommend gettting another i introduced mine all at the same time....people told me it would be fine if i did.(it didnt help their aggressiveness. JMO. Whatever you decide good luck to you!

yep the thing i missed mentioning is we want to try to raise clowns ourselves and i know hubby is already complaining about the future tanks this will require :wink:

Cool idea, but I do not think it requires casting away the maroon to an uncertain doom. I would pick up Joyce Wilkerson's Clownfishes book, in it you will find that in her opinion maroons are probably the easiest to breed. Even with their aggression, if you add a very small one to the tank with a large (most likely female) one, the smaller one will immediately concede power due to the size difference and this will minimize aggression and quickly form a pair.

If your hubby is already complaining about tanks though, I don't see how getting rid of the maroon will alleviate any of this. In order to rear the fry, you will need tons of extra tanks to grow them out in (I assume you are going to try and put several pairs in the 75). In the grand scheme of things, I don't see how one other tank for the maroon(s) is really that big of a deal? In addition, if he is complaining about the tanks, he is likely to go bonkers over all of the culture stations you will need to provide enough food. My best advice would be that if he isn't into this endeavor 100%, I would rethink it entirely. :wink:

good idea think i will have a nice talk with hubby today he said no more tanks in living room and none in kitchen but i can fill up the computer room with them...so i am thinking get a tiny marron saw one at the lfs just the other day and a couple percs and then i can work on getting what i need while they mature....i know i still have a ton of reading up on the subject to do think first order of business is picking up the book you recommend to supplement my online reading.

Back
Top Bottom