I don't know why I have 0's...tank cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I did a 25% water change, and scrubbed a good amount of the algae and diatoms off...to no avail. It's coming back.

Here are my options, given that I am at my wit's end:
1. I dose the tank with chlorine, and start over.
2. I tear the tank down, toss it in the garbage.
3. Buy some chemicals to treat the algae/nitrates in the water.

If I go with option 3, what should I buy, and what brand?

dont dose chlorine, dont throw in a bunch of chemicals to treat algae or nitrates. find out where they are coming from, increase water changes, and deal with it proactively. adding chemicals wont pay off later.

What could be a probable cause? I use R/O water from a local water store...and I don't have any critters in it at all?

I've just come out the end of my cycle, but I dont' know why there are so many nitrates left in the water! This is the 3rd tank I've started and easily been the biggest headache lol.

Your cycle would have resulted in nigh nitrates! This is food for algae. Do a very large water change, 50% or larger! Just cycled my 100 before Christmas, did a 80% water change and my nitrates went from off the chart to 20!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, I'll go stock up on one or two more 5 gallon jugs of water and do that. Yikes...50% lol!

Just get a plastic bin! I use a couple 27 gal bins for my water change

Do you by chance have a pic of your set up?

Setup is a big mess right now:) just really got it fully going a few weeks ago, havnt had time to organize yet!

Also a possibility. I'll test it as I would the aquarium water, and let you guys know.

A scrub and vacuum + 50% water change completed. I will test the water tommorow after it's all settled and let you guys know the results.

Ok, so I tested the levels today...sigh, same results as before.

PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I am following the test directions to a T...Here are some pics of the cleaned tank after the water test.

img_3146499_0_3dc70238514e68ef57e99521da94741b.jpg

img_3146499_1_39c14af1b45ddff48f8071c596525e3c.jpg

img_3146499_2_a76587ab724cc2b7979a591bb39961f0.jpg

So I was thinking maybe on Saturday, I would do another 50% water change....? Otherwise I don't know what the hell is going on lol

I'm not sure what you think the problem is here. But I only see 2 issues;
First, did you ever fix your salinity levels. Your first post said 1.008. That's almost a freshwater tank. Bacteria can't grow in there. Your low pH leads me to suspect low salinity too (or more correctly the low ph means probable low Alk due to low salt mixture).
Second, the algae leads me to suspect you had your lights on during the cycle. I think you mentioned turning them off for a bit, but I can guarantee turning lights off will not remove or even slightly reduce algae already present.

So if you added a couple shrimp to cycle, and ammonia and nitrites are at zero means your cycle is finished. Nitrate is zero due to algae, no biggee.

To address to low pH and possible low alk (you should test Alk especially for a potential coral tank) add simple baking soda during next WC. 1 tablespoon baking soda per gal of water will raise Alk and pH right away. As long as these is nothing in your tank the quick change is ok and excessive Alk is fine.

I honestly don't trust my salinity tester...it's one of those cheap plastic ones with the plastic lever. I have an electronic one on the way. Once that comes in, I'll take another measurement. I am using Instant Ocean for my salt mixutre, and it's one scoop of salt per 2 gallons.

Yeah, my issue was the algae blooms...the tank is cycled, it was just the algae and green diatom that was concerning.

I need to get an Alk test kit...and yeah, nothing in the tank yet, so I can add the baking soda once I get an Alk test kit.

Basically, I want to get the algae and diatom growth under control, and get a good read on my salinity, then start adding critters!

Back
Top Bottom