Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Activist

Also a possibility. I'll test it as I would the aquarium water, and let you guys know.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Activist

A scrub and vacuum + 50% water change completed. I will test the water tommorow after it's all settled and let you guys know the results.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok, so I tested the levels today...sigh, same results as before.

PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I am following the test directions to a T...Here are some pics of the cleaned tank after the water test.

So I was thinking maybe on Saturday, I would do another 50% water change....? Otherwise I don't know what the hell is going on lol
Old 01-29-2015, 04:03 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure what you think the problem is here. But I only see 2 issues;
First, did you ever fix your salinity levels. Your first post said 1.008. That's almost a freshwater tank. Bacteria can't grow in there. Your low pH leads me to suspect low salinity too (or more correctly the low ph means probable low Alk due to low salt mixture).
Second, the algae leads me to suspect you had your lights on during the cycle. I think you mentioned turning them off for a bit, but I can guarantee turning lights off will not remove or even slightly reduce algae already present.

So if you added a couple shrimp to cycle, and ammonia and nitrites are at zero means your cycle is finished. Nitrate is zero due to algae, no biggee.

To address to low pH and possible low alk (you should test Alk especially for a potential coral tank) add simple baking soda during next WC. 1 tablespoon baking soda per gal of water will raise Alk and pH right away. As long as these is nothing in your tank the quick change is ok and excessive Alk is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 01-29-2015, 11:44 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Activist

I honestly don't trust my salinity tester...it's one of those cheap plastic ones with the plastic lever. I have an electronic one on the way. Once that comes in, I'll take another measurement. I am using Instant Ocean for my salt mixutre, and it's one scoop of salt per 2 gallons.

Yeah, my issue was the algae blooms...the tank is cycled, it was just the algae and green diatom that was concerning.

I need to get an Alk test kit...and yeah, nothing in the tank yet, so I can add the baking soda once I get an Alk test kit.

Basically, I want to get the algae and diatom growth under control, and get a good read on my salinity, then start adding critters!

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com